Pro wheel shaver help

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
bobcatbrown520
Journeyman
Journeyman

Pro wheel shaver help

Post by bobcatbrown520 »

I have watched the videos on the pro wheel shaver numerous times....yet just when I think I've got it down I end up getting tapered wheels instead if nice flat tread. Any help is appreciated.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Pro wheel shaver help

Post by whodathunkit »

Hi bocatdrown520,

This topic might help you out !
http://www.derbytalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=1902
If your blade is lose in the tool here's there fix for the blade!

https://youtu.be/VvM_VWIWjrA

Some times if your blade is dull and or sharp.. and or trying to shave to deep.. its hard to move the wheel .. so you end up squeezing the wheel
with more grip on the wheel to turn it bowing and or flexing the wheel cavity inside edge of the wheel tread out.. causing the taper .

Hope this helps.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Pro wheel shaver help

Post by Speedster »

If the goal is to show your scout what a lathe does then this tool will demonstrate this. A vendor has stated, "to truly create a round wheel a computer controlled lathe is required".
If you are wondering how difficult it is to make a wheel round, buy wheels from 4 popular vendors and then tell us if they are round or if they tend to be .003 or less "out of round". That's a lot better wheel then what will come in the box. I do have a set of wheels called "Precision Stock" from Derby Worx that was given to me when I raced in the Mid America race. They are all Perfectly Round as tested on Knott's Concentricity gauge. I keep them in the original package to show scouts what actually can be done to a cheap plastic wheel.

This is what I recommend in all our workshops or those that call me to ask. Check your rules. If rules allow buy as many sets of the Best wheel that you will need to last the Pinewood seasons. If rules do not allow then buy as many sets of "Preferred" numbered wheels that you will need. This way you will pay shipping only once.
Best Wishes for the Racing Season.