Kits are missing wheels and axles (nails)

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
Kookie 7th
Apprentice
Apprentice

Kits are missing wheels and axles (nails)

Post by Kookie 7th »

Good day all

Recently one of the local scout houses in my area closed down. In talking with the manager I was offered a few truck kits. They were going into the recycling bin as they were all missing their wheels and axles (nails). Does anyone know a supplier (or the maker as it's not on the boxes) where one would be able to obtain these parts?

Thank you in advance
YIS
Kookie 7th
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Kits are missing wheels and axles (nails)

Post by gpraceman »

Try Maximum Velocity. They may be able to help you out.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Go to Maximum Velocity as suggested by Randy.

Click on Pinewood Derby Wheels and Axles

Scroll down to "MV stock wheels and axles"

You will find 18 wheeler set with MV wheels. Nails only, 9 long and 3 standard for $2.95.

Tubes of BSA wheels and axles are $2.99 per tube.

Let us know if you have any problem.
Eagle
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Eagle »

Be careful - Read your rules. Most races require Official BSA wheels.

Also, please don't think the manufacturer will replace those. The likelihood of that happening is next to non. It is far more likely that those kits were returned or someone removed wheels and axles then they were sent out without them.

PS I have never seen a BSA truck kit. Are you sure the kits you got were BSA. BSA sells blocks. Someone would have to make them into trucks.
Any pictures of what you got?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Eagle wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:10 pm Be careful - Read your rules. Most races require Official BSA wheels.

Also, please don't think the manufacturer will replace those. The likelihood of that happening is next to non. It is far more likely that those kits were returned or someone removed wheels and axles then they were sent out without them.

PS I have never seen a BSA truck kit. Are you sure the kits you got were BSA. BSA sells blocks. Someone would have to make them into trucks.
Any pictures of what you got?
BSA did have official semi-truck kits for awhile. They are hard to come by these days.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Eagle
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Eagle »

I thought he meant pickup trucks. The semi kits for sure had the wheels robbed out of them. They are old style and racers bought up the kits for the 18 wheels. They had no intention of ever doing anything with the big rigs.
ah8tk
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ah8tk »

Eagle wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:53 pm I thought he meant pickup trucks. The semi kits for sure had the wheels robbed out of them. They are old style and racers bought up the kits for the 18 wheels. They had no intention of ever doing anything with the big rigs.
Actually, these kits were from 2010. These were some of the first wheels out of the new molds. This is why the wheels were gone, people are looking for the 2010 wheels.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Andy,
I know the 2nd big rig kits were intended for the 2010 racing season an all.. to mark the 100th anniversary to scouting.
( And I'm not picking on you in any way here.. But are you sure there actually from 2010.. And not 2009. )

According to the 100th anniversary semi truck topic ..
You also picked up one of the 100th anniversary big rig racing kit's back in 2009 at the scout store for the 2010 racing season.
http://www.derbytalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=5029

Eagle,
pic's of the 100th anniversary big rig kit.
https://imgur.com/G5Y4v17
https://imgur.com/9NbgQ73
Last edited by whodathunkit on Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
ah8tk
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ah8tk »

Whoda is correct, the kits came out in late 2009. But they were advertised as 100th Anniversary kits, so 2010...