Squaring the Block

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
Kindintentions
Journeyman
Journeyman

Squaring the Block

Post by Kindintentions »

I just received this years cars for my scouts and took them out of the PWD boxes. Both blocks are horribly out of square. Measured with the calipers the height of one side of the pinewood block is .2 inches taller than the other side. Width and length both differ too but not by as much as the height, which is visible even without a square on the block.

Generally I try to make sure the axles are square to the body and don't worry too much about the squareness of the block itself before cutting but it has never been so visibly out of square before, and I am wondering if that might mess up my drilling and squaring up for drilling for axles.

What does everyone do to get their block into square before working with it? Or do you even worry about getting a square block before working it?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Squaring the Block

Post by gpraceman »

If you have a table saw, you could square up the block with that. Use the bottom of the block to reference off of. If not and you are drilling axles holes, then again make sure to use the block as the reference plane for drilling. If you are not drilling axle holes, then I would not worry about out of squareness, unless it throws off aesthetics.

You could also ask the pack if they have replacement kits (or just blocks).
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Kindintentions
Journeyman
Journeyman

Re: Squaring the Block

Post by Kindintentions »

Unfortunately my table saw quit on me and I can no longer get the replacement parts I need to fix it. I planned on trying to drill axle holes for the first time this year but may have to just use the pre-cut slots on the bottom again this year. My other thought was to try and use a belt sander to get it square but that I know can be tough to get exactly right. If anyone else has any ideas I am open to other thoughts. Thanks.