Polishing Axles with High Speed Dremels

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
murphken
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by murphken »

Much discussion over the years about polishing axles. Over the years, I have used Dremels to polish the axles, after cutting on a lathe. The Dremels rotate at over 30,000 RPM. The units are pretty safe for a Scout to use with proper training. I would guess the biggest safety issue would be loose clothing getting caught in the mandrel or cuts from the rotating axle. These safety risks can be minimized with proper training of the Scout.

The high speed reduces polishing time, reduces the amount of sandpaper used and gives a better axle appearance. If a pack has a large number of Scouts, a high speed Dremel can help reduce workshop durations.
I can get an exceptional finish with professional 800 grit sandpaper during final sand before wax. There is a dramatic difference in particle size distribution when comparing inexpensive versus professional sandpaper.
The first Dremel lasted over ten years until the unit just wore-out. It was making noise and finally shorted and gave me a good shock. I had a new one in reserve. The new one lasted one year but I polish lots of axles so it was probably the normal life cycle of a new unit.
I now use a Proxxon that has a holder that I clamp in a vice. It has lower RPM but is quieter. Nice unit. I believe I have polished about twenty sets of axles so far. I believe it is manufactured in Canada.

Murph
SHINING LIGHT Pinewood Derby & Audio
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Murphken,

The one thing that I’ve learnt over the years about the corded Dremel rotary tools...
Is that you need to check the carbon brushes about every 50 to 100 hours of use or so on.
And to replace them when there is about 1/8 of brush left.. for the longevity and the lifespan of the tool.
( just one of the draw backs to tools with carbon brushes ! )

Most of us don’t think of the countless hours we run the tool or of the pressure's we put on the tool.. to the heat generated to the motor and ware on the brushes.

I’m probably the worlds worst.. When it comes to polishing axles with polishing or buffing compounds.
Because I like running the tool at full speed and to bare down on the axle while burning the polishing/ buffing compound into the axle.
Plus making a big miss by splattering the polishing and buffing compounds everywhere.

Dremel has a new cordless / brushless tool out.. That can monitor the tool with a blue tooth app to a smart phone.. the new 8260 Dremel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24JEyFGiZFI
Kind of pricy at $ 160.00

Okay call me crazy but my Mouther made jewelry for her hobby and one of the tools she had was a bead drilling machine ..
That I thought would be real handy to use for axles and wheels.
https://www.amazon.com/BAOSHISHAN-Drill ... 2733&psc=1

My son seems to enjoy using a mini lathe with the tail stock removed to polish axles and wheels with over the Dremel tool.. ( don't figure!) :scratching:
Guess there's just something to it he likes better.
https://www.amazon.com/Machine-Polisher ... 6361&psc=1
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
Eagle
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Polishing Axles with High Speed Dremels

Post by Eagle »

Whodathunkit said "My son seems to enjoy using a mini lathe with the tail stock removed to polish axles and wheels with over the Dremel tool.. ( don't figure!) :scratching:
Guess there's just something to it he likes better."

Likely the noise. My youngest says Dremel is too loud. Of course, my wife does too.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Polishing Axles with High Speed Dremels

Post by whodathunkit »

Thought id re visit this topic:
If the ending goal while sanding axles.. is to remove as little material on the axle and to keep the largest shaft diameter posable.

( What should the target rpm of the spinning tool be set at to keep material removal of the axle shaft at a minimum .)

In most all the pinewood derby books I have at hand from David Mead or Troy Thorne.. in there axle polishing chapters most say low speed and show a Dremel tool used
Or a medium to high speed with a cordless or corded hand drill or drill press being used. . and in the wheel prep chapters as well but do not say a given set rpm speed to use...
like 5,000 rpm for low speed on the Dremel tool or say 1500 rpm for the drills.

Dremel variable speed tools rpm ranges 5,000 - 35,000.
Cordless drills typically offer a max speed of 2000 rpm
Corded drills typically 3000 or more rpm
Drill press 2000-3600 rpm or more

Sanders / polishers typically turns speeds between 200-3350 rpm
For the axle prep and wheel prep .. I'd say the rpm speed need's to be slower around the 500-600 rpm range.

Thanks Murph ,
you got my mind spinning target rpm speed's here for prep of the axles and wheels ..
but for just polishing the axles with polishing compounds like you I like the higher rpm speeds.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?