Mini Semi Trucks design change's

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Mini Semi Trucks design change's

Post by whodathunkit »

When it comes to the mini semi truck kits offered for the pinewood derby on the web there is not much in the way for designs for them.

I'm sure you have seen them on the web.. like the two semi trucks that can be seen in this image.

The Revell Semi truck kit:

And then the Pre-Cut Semi truck:

I thought would be fun to work off of this pre cut semi truck design concept.. and change it up some what!
Who can recall the vintage fuel trucks or fuel truck toy's from back in the day?

For a little inspiration..
Image's of a fuel truck toy's cabover designs:

Image of a Real fuel truck.

Let's get started..

Ok I hear you .. the cabover toy truck is a cool looking design so lets make one.
How would you draw it out to look something like the pre cut semi kit image seen above?
What dose it look like with smoke stacks and wheels installed.
Shure there is still lots of wood weight to get rid of in these semi truck design's.. as this one came out as 4.4oz on my scale.

How did I come up with the inspiration for the idea.. it was this image I seen of an old wooden fuel truck toy:

For the fuel truck decals.. Id try goggle searching for some.

Whoda.
Last edited by whodathunkit on Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
Eagle
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Mini Semi Trucks design change's

Post by Eagle »

Too bad it doesn't have 6 wheels. This would be a cool idea to race in the Big Rig C Class at the 70th Anniversary Celebration at http://www.TheWestCoastGrandPrix.com
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Eagle wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:42 pm Too bad it doesn't have 6 wheels. This would be a cool idea to race in the Big Rig C Class at the 70th Anniversary Celebration at http://www.TheWestCoastGrandPrix.com
Yeah Eagle I know what your saying.. working on something for that race.

This one will be my adult entry for the pack 43 race tomorrow as well.

Thought id make some basswood fenders for this fuel truck build also..
So I traced around the block design on some paper as a quick way to make my fender pattern then I used the paper pattern by placing it over the top of the block.
Stuck the wheels and axles threw the paper pattern into the block to mark out the wheels.. and clearance needed for the fender design.

From there I used some basswood cut down to 1 1/8'' wide.. and some clear packing tape to hold my patten down and cut out the fender design on the scroll saw.
With the basswood fenders my total weight was at 4.9oz.
Using a 1 1/2'' Forstner bit I hogged out some wood weight.
Did a quick add of some wooden buttons for the gas fill caps on the tank.. and paint job on the truck.
I figured if could get COM at 1 1/2'' on the truck that it would be good.
I used black tape for the windows and a black sharpie pen and some HVAC chrome tape for the details.

Not one of my better truck builds.. I only had today to work on it and get it built for tomorrows race with the kids.
Anyway hope you've enjoyed the design change and how you can change things up for a different look.
Eagle
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Eagle »

Those fenders, caps, foil, and the sharpie details took that rig from ok to super cool. Amazing work for 1 day!
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

I especially like the tank vents on top made from mushroom screw caps. Nice touch...
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Thanks Eagle and FS,
It was a fun build and somewhat just thrown together so id have something to race with the kids.
It did ok for as much wood was left in the truck .. I just needed to haul a little bit more fuel in the tank as far as ballast weight go's.
I kept teasing and joking with the kids by telling them there race cars were using up all the fuel my truck had.. and that I needed paid for all the racing fuel they were using.
Boy did I ever get some strange Look's from the kids .. Made it all worth while.