Homemade Decals

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Homemade Decals

Post by FatSebastian »

I wish to (attempt to) build a fendered delivery van (or two) that is taller than a single block. This is beyond my usual experience, but I have seen enough posts from Whoda, Andy Holzer, and other great builders over the years to at least know how to approach such a project...

I'd like to be able to just give away the result to a local business that owns the vehicle I am imitating after the derby. The result needs to look like a specific vehicle which happens to have very large logos on it.

My thought was to take a high resolution picture of each side of the vehicle with a long focal-length lens to capture all of its decal work, then photo-edit those pictures to capture logos. Then I could print out them out and apply them like decals. Questions:

1. What are the caveats, challenges, pitfalls, techniques, etc. of taking pictures of vehicle artwork and trying to transfer it to a scale model?

2. What might folks recommend now for making homemade decals or transfers (say, a couple of inches across)? I can comb some of the historic threads to discover what others have used in the past, but I have also found that products evolve over time and past products and materials may no longer be readily available.

I have access to a color laser printer to help me with this. Because I expect to give this away, I prefer that the decal work look nice, but I have no experience with homemade stickers or decals...

Thanks in advance for any help or advice!
Eagle
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Homemade Decals

Post by Eagle »

Hoping to learn more myself.
I have actually used pictures. A little thick and thought to fit other than flat. Then it's how do you protect them.
If design or original has 6 wheels be sure to check out Big Rig C class at the 70th Anniversary Celebration at http://www.TheWestCoastGrandPrix.com
It would be a great place to show and race it before giving it to the company.
Hope you'll do a build thread.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

FS,
I first learned about creating custom water side decals.. From Troy Thorn's Designs and Patterns book on page 72.
I use a computer and ink-jet printer to print out the decals on clear transparent water slide decal paper.
The brand of decal paper was from Papilio.
The down fall to the Transparent decal paper.. is they work best on cars that are painted white. ( because home base.. printers don't print in white.)
So the decal will look faded on darker colored model's with the transparent decal film.

The white decal paper film if your model is dark and your the decal needs to stand out.

It's also best to test print your decal sizing out on plane white paper.. before using the decal sheet so you get your sizing right.
plus you will want to fit as many decal images on the decal film sheet as you can.. so your not wasting the decal film paper.
With the decal papers after printing they will need 2 clear coat covering's sprayed on as well and let dry to hold the image in the paper.

There are 3 types of printer.. decal paper.
1. Ink-jet printer..
2. Some say HP laser jet.. same as ink-jet.
3. laser printer.
The Decal papers that are thicker are for different projects like cups and plates and so on .. get the paper for models thinner film paper.

You said you had use of an color laser printer.
Might give these decal film's a try. Just make sure you get the right decal film for the printer you have and what your looking to do.
https://www.bare-metal.com/experts-choi ... -film.html

Andy and Noah were really good at this.. and using a computer program of some sort can't re-call the program they used.. photo shop maybe?
I think they used the white paper decal films.. on those films you needed to trim really close to your decal so no white ring will show around decal.

Video Link That talks about making decals and computer programs you can use.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0uvpCaRbbU

FS as good as you are on computers..
I know you can do this just follow the instructions on the decal film and you'll do okay with your decal project.
Hope the link's help.

And yes Eagle I'm with you.. as I would really enjoy seeing one of FS build thread's as well. ;)
Last edited by whodathunkit on Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
ah8tk
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ah8tk »

We have always used the MicroMark paper for our decals. My wife’s inkjet photo printer, a HP 7740 Photosmart worked great, until the cartridges started costing over $50 apiece (and there is 5 of them) Since then I have been printing decals on a laser printer at work. The MicroMark instructions claim that they can be printed on laser printers also. I have found the decals, printed on a laser printer, sometimes do not stick well. So sometimes I have had to add a little Elmers glue under the decals.

https://www.micromark.com/Instructions/ ... r-inst.pdf

Their website looks to have videos on making and installing decals.

https://www.micromark.com/White-Decal-P ... et-Printer
https://www.micromark.com/Clear-On-Whit ... t-Printers

Most of our decals were drawn up using Microsoft, Visio. It is a drawing tool I use in my day to day work. It makes for some very clean drawn decals.

Still here, lurking,
Andy
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

ah8tk wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:18 pm We have always used the MicroMark paper for our decals.
Most of our decals were drawn up using Microsoft, Visio. It is a drawing tool I use in my day to day work. It makes for some very clean drawn decals.
Still here, lurking,
Andy
Thanks for chiming in Andy.. I could not recall the decal paper you and Noah used or the computer program .. It's been awhile!
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?