When to do the Gospel message?

Ideas and discussions on presenting the Gospel at Church sponsored races.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

When to do the Gospel message?

Post by gpraceman »

I wanted to find out where during race day other groups are doing the presentation of the Gospel message.

We always plan to to do it as an intermission in the middle of the race, but it always ends up being done at the beginning, after our opening ceremonies. It has been taking us longer than planned to get the rosters double checked and printed out. Even without this problem, would it be better anyway to have the presentation before racing starts?
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Mike Parrish
Merchant
Merchant

Re: When to do the Gospel message?

Post by Mike Parrish »

For our Awana race, we have the gospel message before the event. The state race had theirs during intermission, but, in order to keep on schedule with the race, it caused the refreshment time to be a little too short for the kids.

I prefer having it in the beginning. That is where we have our devotional for our adult races we have during the year.
dave4him
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by dave4him »

I agree with Mike.

We have our Gospel presentation right before the race.

1. If done at intermission, people are going to the snack bar or restrooms.
2. If done at the end, people are probably thinking about going home, etc.
3. If done at or near the beginning, people and children are more attentive and less likely to go to the restrooms and snack bar. We end our race with prayer after the awards presentation.

We have opening ceremony which includes the American and Awana flag pledges, followed by the playing of the National Anthem. Then, each racer is recognized and receives a participant ribbon, (supplied through Awana). Then we present a short but clear, (around 10 minutes), Gospel presentation.

I think the Gospel talk time should be the No.1 reason for the Grand Prix, and not as just another part of the schedule.
David L. Barnes
"Reaching boys and girls with the Gospel of Christ, to train them to serve Him"
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Thanks for the input. I guess we've put the message mid way during the race, because of other Awana events that seem to do the same thing. We will probably, for the very reasons that you state.
dave4him wrote:I think the Gospel talk time should be the No.1 reason for the Grand Prix, and not as just another part of the schedule.
I agree wholeheartedly. If a race is being put on by an Awana club or other faith-based organization, and they are not doing a Gospel message, then they are missing the boat entirely on what their organization is there for, that is spreading the Good News. It should be the primary reason for the race, not the secondary reason.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
MERuhl
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by MERuhl »

We follow a similar agenda, with a short Gospel presentation before the racing begins, for all the reasons stated above.

I serve as emcee for our Grand Prix, and during lulls in the action I'll relate the Grand Prix to our Christian walk, keeping it short and simple. I also mix in some Pinewood Derby/Grand Prix history/trivia along the way. Hmmm...sounds like a good thread topic...
tlz_allen
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by tlz_allen »

Since we've run our races in a rotation fashion on a three-lane track, we've done it right before the third rotation.

Of course when we need to kill time due to scheduling or something, we're fortunate enough to a have a pastro with an endless array of bad jokes that he loves to tell.

However, if you ever tell him that, I'll deny it!
Tim Allen
Fellowship in the Pass
Timothy Cup Race Director
Beaumont, CA
Patmanruls
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Patmanruls »

I have been active in our Awana Grand Prix for the past four years, and think it is awesome. Our church also has been doing the "Upwards" program for basketball. During halftime last year, a short video was shown with famous sports figures presenting their testimony. I specifically remember one video where there were NASCAR celebrities sharing their message. I remember Joe Gibbs, and I'm thinking Michael Waltrip may have been on there to.

I have reached out to our Upwards coordinator to see if that video is available for use, or sale. I would think a derby race (scouts or Awana), would be an an awesome opportunity to show that video.

I'll keep you guys posted on what I find out.
We must all be children at heart
Patmanruls
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Patmanruls »

I have found out that and organization named "Athletes in Action", may have produced this tape, and others like it. I have reached out to them for more information. I will keep you posted.

If you want to visit, www.aia.com
We must all be children at heart
ameliabedelia
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by ameliabedelia »

Patmanruls wrote:I have found out that and organization named "Athletes in Action", may have produced this tape, and others like it. I have reached out to them for more information. I will keep you posted.

If you want to visit, www.aia.com
It looks like it's called "Driving Force"

http://www.aia.com/media/products.aspx

http://www.campuscrusade.com/AIA/drivingforce.htm
livgren65
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by livgren65 »

We have found some wonderful racing tracts from American tract society that use the colored flags of a real racetrack to simulate the colors on the armbands and the "wordless book" to present the gospel message. So, we just use the beginning to say our pledges, our prayer, and read through the tract together. We try to do this while the craftsmanship is being judged. The tract is something they can take home from the race. And, they are cheap if you buy in bulk!! Try them out!!
The Best to you all! Grace and Peace from Livgren65
jrdur7277
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by jrdur7277 »

Do the tear jerker at the top before the message, i think you should that. :idea:
jrdur7277
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by jrdur7277 »

Before the race, sprry about the misspell[/quote]