Timothy Cup and Raceway Ministries...

Ideas and discussions on presenting the Gospel at Church sponsored races.
tlz_allen
Apprentice
Apprentice

Timothy Cup and Raceway Ministries...

Post by tlz_allen »

At the request of Randy Lisano, I am posting some information on the Timothy Cup - a pinewood race series organized by Raceway Ministries of California.

The series is designed to be an outreach ministry of the local church - drawing kids into a pinewood race format with the opportunity to share Christ with them and their families. The simplicity of the event lies in that all of the cars come pre-cut - in a basic NASCAR Winston Cup Series style - so that kids basically just have to paint them, put the wheels on and race!

The event is setup with local churches acting as a "qualifier," followed by a regional race at the Ontario Mills Mall for the "semifinals," and the grand finale happening at the California Speedway the Saturday before the big race. In 2004, there will be two NASCAR events at the California Speedway, opening up the possibility of more churches participating.

The event went off well with our church last year, amidst the loss of our discipleship pastor and some very poor advertising due to the disorganization. We still had about 75 kids, but the potential in our area (Beaumont, CA) is much higer than that. With proper promotion this year, and an expanded car show, I think that 150-200 is very reachable. And that means as many as 500 unsaved folks may get the Gospel put in their ear for a few hours!

I've babbled on long enough about this event. If you have any questions please feel free to reply to this message and I'll get back to you.

Thanks and God Bless!
Tim Allen
Fellowship in the Pass
Timothy Cup Race Director
Beaumont, CA
pricer
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Timothy Cup and Raceway Ministries...

Post by pricer »

Hello All,

I am a new member here and I am also new to PWD racing. What would it take to start a ministry using the pinewood derby? I am still learning about PWD and I recently got involved with it thru the Cub Scouts with my son. If anyone can offer some wisdom on the subject I would like to hear more. I am a fabricator/builder and I really enjoy doing such things.

Thanks,
Pricer
Many minds, Many Hands, Many Solutions