Not Just for Race Day

Ideas and discussions on presenting the Gospel at Church sponsored races.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Not Just for Race Day

Post by gpraceman »

Having people hear about Christ is not just for race day. Workshops are a good opportunity to try to strike up a conversation with the adults and share your testimony or talk about the Gospel.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
dave4him
Pine Head
Pine Head

Re: Not Just for Race Day

Post by dave4him »

Even though it's been almost two years since your post Randy, your comment is just as true today. At our workshop(s), we have met many of our clubber's parent(s) for the first time, not the normal wave or "Hello" to them in their car as they drop their children off for club night. Workshops definitely are a way to link up with some parents. We need to keep that in mind as we help them work on their car. :bigups:
David L. Barnes
"Reaching boys and girls with the Gospel of Christ, to train them to serve Him"
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

gpraceman wrote:Workshops are a good opportunity to try to strike up a conversation with the adults and share your testimony or talk about the Gospel.
I am encouraged that the Gospel Message Time forum exists on Derby Talk (which, as far as I have been able to discover, is a rather unique feature of this particular discussion board). But it's also a little sobering to admit that this forum has by far the least amount of activity (sometimes going years without any updates), even though its subject matter is the most important. The initial post to this topic is now almost a decade old, with only one reply, for example.

I was just thinking that a workshop really seems like an activity where God may provide opportunities to witness, because one may be in the best position to have one-on-one interaction with families without the business of the race. Then I saw this topic.

To encourage the establishment of derby activity as a ministry opportunity within a local congregation, I would be curious if anyone has any encouraging stories about positive responses to personal witnessing during a workshop, or advice to share about witnessing within a workshop environment. Thanks!
WI_Dad
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by WI_Dad »

Perhaps moving it from the Coordianator's Corner would make more people feel more comfortable commenting. I have read posts in this area but as someone who merely builds and attends I didn't want to overstep.

But, since I'm here...

Our pastor had a very good devotion before our race on Sunday which was held to coincide with our school's open house. The devotion compared the work the kids put into their cars to transform them from blocks of wood into works of art and speed to the work that God has done in us through the Holy Spirit to tranform us from clay pots into something special. 2 Corinthians 4:7
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Gpraceman,

If it is ok with you My wife & I would like to offer a little gospel music.
To help in Gospel of our Lord & Savior.
http://www.reverbnation.com/beckyrobison" target="_blank
There is Victory in Jesus.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?