Badly Botched Awana Grand Prix

Ideas and discussions on presenting the Gospel at Church sponsored races.
zackygrampa
Apprentice
Apprentice

Badly Botched Awana Grand Prix

Post by zackygrampa »

I have a really bizarre situation and am hoping someone out there might give me some advice on how to deal with this situation. In a nutshell, at the local Awana Grand Prix, this weekend, the guy running the race ( a deacon in that church) screwed up the announcement of winners and gave trophies to kids that were in the back of the pack, totally ignoring the actual winners (for the sake of disclosure, the actual#1 & #2 kids are ours). When a couple parents and a local scoutmaster told him, almost immediately, THE GUY REFUSED TO CORRECT THE MISTAKE!!!! They went on to have an awards ceremony with photos and all with the wrong kids. The guy said, "don't worry, we'll just order more trophies". The guy thinks that is what the race is about!!. Our boys could not believe that this church leader would not fix his mistake and they went home in tears. As most of the solutions that came to mind immediately involve major prison time for me, I am hoping some of you might have some better ideas to point me toward. Oh- I also just found out last night that this guy had done the same thing 4 years ago. Another poor kid went home with only tears to show for her first place win.
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Badly Botched Awana Grand Prix

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

It sounds like he made a very quick and very poor decision. The error should have been corrected immediately.

The same thing happened to us at the District race last year. In one group they announced the bottom 3, gave out the trophies and immediately noticed the error. They recalled the trophies and awarded them to the proper kids (my son being one of them).
davem
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by davem »

A friend of mine had a similar experience with a "Destination Imagination" competition.

The team he coached came in near last, however, in an error they were awarded the 3rd place trophy. He sensed something was not right and approached the judges (to find that other coaches were also questioning the results). Bottom line is he approached his girls and explained that while they did a great job for their first time competing, there was a mistake and another team really should have the trophy. He asked the girls how they would feel if they won and another team was given their trophy. He gently coached the girls into making the right decision and as a team they returned the trophy.

The judges brought both teams on stage (his team and the real 3rd place team) and praised the spirit and attitude of the team willing to surrender their trophy. The trophy was given to the correct team and the coach and judges "invented" a good sportsmanship award and awarded it to the team who had surrendered their trophy.

Mistakes happen, we are all human, but this was a great example of teaching children how to do the right thing.

Maybe you and another parent (with no trophy interest) could ask to meet with the judge (or better yet a group of race organizers / volunteers) and share this story with a suggestion that they consider awarding duplicate trophies. One set to the rightful winners and let the other racers keep their trophies with a new plaque / sticker on them for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place in good sportsmanship.

I think it important that this be discussed as a group, and not just you and the judge who made the mistake. I think many (if not all) would agree that something should be done to correct the "injustice" without hurting the races who were erroneously awarded the trophies...and without ruining the reputation of the Judge, the Awana program and the sponsoring church.
chesspupil
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by chesspupil »

This is perhaps not my place, but this is a repeat topic and I feel needs to be deleted or moved ( not in this topic)
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

chesspupil wrote:This is perhaps not my place, but this is a repeat topic and I feel needs to be deleted or moved ( not in this topic)
The duplicated topic (with more discussion) is over here.