How to add a photo to a post

Forum news and general announcements.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

How to add a photo to a post

Post by gpraceman »

To post a photo, first the photo needs to be on the web somewhere already. You can host them on some free service like Imgur, if need be.

When you go to post your message with the photo:

1. Click on the Img button (located just above the message entry box)
2. Type or paste the URL to the photo (e.g. http://mysite.com/images/mycar.jpg ) between the img tags

It will end up looking like this:

Code: Select all

[img]http://mysite.com/images/mycar.jpg[/img]
You can also refer to our FAQ's at faq.php#f3r3.

If you don't have your own website, you can become a member of GrandPrix Race Central and add your car photos to the Visitor Submissions photo gallery. Please note, this gallery is just for photos of the cars themselves.
Last edited by gpraceman on Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
knavekid
Journeyman
Journeyman

Re: How to post a photo

Post by knavekid »

An easy place to host photos is www.tinypic.com. It is free and anonymous so you don't have to sign up to use it. Simply upload your file and the next page provides you with a URL to link to the photo. As described on the main page:

"TinyPic™ is a photo and video sharing service that lets you easily upload, link, and share your images and videos on MySpace®, eBay®, Orkut Scrapbooks, blogs, and message boards."
knavekid
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by knavekid »

Here are step by step instructions to get a photo on your computer to display in your forum message:

First, you must find a place to host your image. I recommend:

http://www.tinypic.com

Tinypic provides free anonymous image hosting:
  • At the main page, simply click on the "Browse" button and locate the photo on your computer that you want to post.
  • Next, you have the option of adding some words in the "Tags" field that would aid someone searching for related photos. "pinewood derby car" could go in this field, for example.
  • Click on the "Upload Now" button and your photo will be uploaded.
  • You will be taken to a page which has the photo and some information under the heading, "Share This Image".
  • The information you need to copy is under, "IMG Code for Forums & Message Boards".
  • Copy the string there in the form of:

Code: Select all

[IMG]http://i32.tinypic.com/33li73l.jpg[/IMG]
  • This is the code that you paste into your message to display the photo.
  • When you think you are done, click the "Preview" button and if all went well, you should see your photo in the preview window.
  • If you need to make any changes, your edit window is below the preview and you can correct any errors there.
  • Preview again as necessary and then click on "Submit" when you are happy with it.
keithg30
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by keithg30 »

UMMMMM all I got was some girls danceing and some girls talking on line !!!!!
JackBauer
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by JackBauer »

I just used that tinypic site just fine, no dancing girls here :cry:
PinewoodTopia
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by PinewoodTopia »

just a quick comment, I love the new look tothe site, but it seems the links to photos is not working, all of my recent photos, as recent as tuesday, are missing? do I have to go in and replace the code on each page foe every image or is it just a temporary issue? :?
Out of graphite and sawdust come million $ cars and priceless memories.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

PinewoodTopia wrote:just a quick comment, I love the new look tothe site, but it seems the links to photos is not working, all of my recent photos, as recent as tuesday, are missing? do I have to go in and replace the code on each page foe every image or is it just a temporary issue? :?
It seems that they are more than the 640 x 640 size limit. I am rather surprised that they are not being displayed. I would think that would be an issue with making a new post, not with existing posts. I'll see what I can do. Just trying to remove that size limit does not fix the problem.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
PinewoodTopia
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by PinewoodTopia »

thanks, I appreciate it.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Unfortunately, that is a data migration issue. If during the data migration, the script could not determine the image size or it was larger than the 640 x 640 limit, then that problem would result. I'm not so sure that I want to remigrate the data. It was a real pain to do the first time around.

A workaround is to edit the offending post and then simply resave it. You don't have to edit anything, just click on the Submit button. The software will then re-examine the image and code it correctly for display. I've gone through a few posts and have done that.

I'll see if there is some better way to update the remaining 774 affected posts. I surely do not want to edit them one by one :shake:
Randy Lisano

PinewoodTopia
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by PinewoodTopia »

Thank You. I appreciate your taking time to look into this.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

I'm still looking for an easy solution to that image issue. Fortunately, it doesn't affect all images, just the ones over 640px in width or height.

However, I did install a mod to resize images larger than 640px wide down to that width. This will make it so members don't have to scroll to the right to see all of an image (or post text for that matter). There will be a bar to the left of a resized photo that you can click on if you wish to view the full sized image (you can click on the image itself as well).

You can see an example of that below:

Randy Lisano

Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

gpraceman wrote:However, I did install a mod to resize images larger than 640px wide down to that width.
Thank you!
PinewoodTopia
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by PinewoodTopia »

You are them man, a million thanks.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Darin McGrew wrote:Thank you!
PinewoodTopia wrote:You are them man, a million thanks.
8) No prob.

BTW, I did remove that 640 x 640 max size restriction. Not all members know how to resize photos. Now with this resize mod, it will help make posts more readable for everyone, without any horizontal scrolling.
Randy Lisano

gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Well, It took some doing, but I got the image display problem fixed for those posts affected. :whew:
Randy Lisano