Best or Freedom?

Commercial tracks.
Pack 187
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Best or Freedom?

Post by Pack 187 »

Just got off the phone with Gary and the track is going out next week. The 4 weeks turned into 8, but if the quality is as good as what I've heard then it's worth the wait.
Kevin
michael4262
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by michael4262 »

Spoke with Diana today to confirm that our track is on the way, but, instead have been assured that the track should be shipped by the end of next week ....

Hope they really follow through with the estimate this time, as this is basically the same "next week" estimate that I've been given for the last 4 - 5 weeks.

Nice people to work with, however, my credibility is hurting with our Pinewood Committee due to all of the "should be next week" estimates.

Unfortunately, disappointing so far ...

- Mike
Pack 187
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Pack 187 »

Mike....I think my track was supposed to ship out at the same time as yours. I was told last week that it would go out with the next group. I assume that includes your track. I will call tomorrow to get the current status of my delivery. Based upon what you were told, I would expect that mine is delayed as well.
Kevin
michael4262
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by michael4262 »

Thanks Kevin. I agree, you probably are in the same boat as we are. Here's hoping the tracks actually ship next week. Let me know what you hear. Thanks!

- Mike
Pack 187
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Pack 187 »

Just spoke with Gary and was told that my track would ship either Monday or Tuesday and would arrived Wednesday. I'll keep my fingers crossed but won't hold my breath.
Kevin
Pack 187
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Pack 187 »

Spoke with Piantedosi again today. My track that was supposed to arrive today will now be shipped out on Friday. When asked what the delay was, they simply said it was due to other orders for customers that had races that they needed the track for right away. Apparently there are a bunch of groups ordering tracks at the last minute.

Mike, any word on your track yet?
Kevin
michael4262
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by michael4262 »

Hi Kevin .... I spoke with Piantedosi late yesterday and received the same basic update that you did .... should be shipped by Friday .... The thing that is most irritating is that our track is being delayed not only due to supplier issues, but also because of orders placed after ours ... I'm all for trying to help out the guys that have derbies soon, but wow, collecting my cash and then not delivering the goods over 2 months later is tough ... sure hope we get tracking numbers by Friday ....
- Mike
Da Graphite Kid
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Da Graphite Kid »

Mike/Kevin,

I have been following this thread but have refrained from posting a reply so far…

I can really say that I can feel you pain here as I was caught by the same deal a few years back when I ordered a 3-lane Freedom track from Piantadosi – namely that other tracks were being shipped to people/groups that had placed orders after mine. Now I don’t mind waiting my turn or even mind if my track was delayed in being shipped a few weeks or even a month after the original promised ship date; but I ordered months ahead of time and yet only received the track a week before our Packs race. :( Not only did I have to answer to our Pack’s Committee, all the Leaders and Parents that found out we had not received the track as yet but I also had to answer to my wife :shock: for you see I bought and paid for this track with my own money but had assured here and the Pack that we would have it in plenty of time to iron out any problems we may have with it or the electronic timer and software, so as to have a trouble free race. I was also the person that suggested that we give our Pack’s old wooden track to another local Pack so they could rebuild it and use it. :roll: :oops:

When the track finally arrived I was way past being a nervous wreck! :wall: This was however countered by receiving a very nice Aluminum Pinewood Derby Track that allowed us to run the best race anyone had seen in years! :dance:

Would I order another Freedom Track? Yes, but I would do so without having to have it by a certain date or possibly order it during the summer.

Da Graphite Kid
dave4him
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by dave4him »

Our Awana Club ordered a 4-lane Piantedosi and we received it a couple weeks ago. Yeah it took a little longer to get than what was stated in their website.

If you read the previous threads, Mr. Piantedosi explained why the orders backed up on him. While it is a good business practise to fill the orders as they are received, I believe that Piantedosi was trying to help those folks who ordered at the last minute :roll: , or was just trying to catch up on filling the back log of orders, putting on hold those (like me) with extra time to spare.

And why do they have a lot of orders :?: :arrow: Because of the quality! They sent us a beautiful anodized aluminum track. Our race is in Jan 06 and it's gonna be fast!

Best to all,
and MERRY CHRISTMAS
David L. Barnes
"Reaching boys and girls with the Gospel of Christ, to train them to serve Him"
michael4262
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by michael4262 »

Glad to hear that you received your track David! ....Believe me, I have read this thread from top to bottom to see what folks have to say about the Piantedosi situation. I have no doubt that the people there are good people and are working hard through their problems. However, my issue was more with the communication that I was receiving along the lines of "it'll be shipped next week", week after week ..... That, I guess, has been the most frustrating aspect of the whole purchase... BUT, on the plus side, I just received a tracking id from UPS! Woo Hoo! ... Hope to see the track by Monday :mrgreen: ....I'll post with an update after we get it setup & tested!
- Mike
Pack 187
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Pack 187 »

I too received my tracking number today. I expect that the track should arrive on Monday. I hope to post the good news that evening that the track has arrived.

Like Mike, I can understand the issues that the company has had. But before I ordered, I emailed them to get an estimated delivery time. They replied with a 4 week delivery and I placed the order a week later. That was Sept 28. Two emails went unanswered and when I called I got the same response Mike did....It should ship next week....week after week

If they would have told me that it was going to take 2-3 months, I would have still placed the order with them based upon all of the good feedback I have read about the quality. Just don't make promises you can't keep.

I am looking forward to getting a good quality track to replace the old wood one we currently have. I think that the Scouts (and parents) will be excited about the new equipment. :P
Kevin
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

dave4him wrote:They sent us a beautiful anodized aluminum track.
Dave,

I'd be interested to hear what you think of the anodized aluminum. It looks cool on their website. I would assume that it would be a "slicker" surface than the raw aluminum. Did you find any burr issues on the ends of the pieces? Do you think it is worth the added expense?

Thanks,

Randy
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
dave4him
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by dave4him »

gpraceman wrote:I'd be interested to hear what you think of the anodized aluminum. It looks cool on their website. I would assume that it would be a "slicker" surface than the raw aluminum. Did you find any burr issues on the ends of the pieces?
Hey Randy,

I have only had a few test runs on this track and it's is amazing. It's our first time on an aluminum track, so I really can't compare it to a regular alum. track. The joints are seamless, no sanding or filing, etc. Just today as I was finishing customizing the track with Awana color tape on each lane, I used a razor to trim the tape and intentionally scratched the track on the bottom :shock: and the anodized feature is like they promised--hard as a rock. 8)

The smooth satin finish is very cool, especially with the red, blue, green, & yellow lanes now! (Possible future Piantedosi option maybe) :wink:

As I went over every section, I found (0) burrs or sharp edges. I thought that was pretty amazing! We're looking forward to many years with this track.
gpraceman wrote:Do you think it is worth the added expense?
I can't really answer that yet being our first alum. track, but I definitely would recommend it. I think this is a good investment. I'll update this review in about 10 years with a more thorough investigation. :mrgreen:
David L. Barnes
"Reaching boys and girls with the Gospel of Christ, to train them to serve Him"
michael4262
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by michael4262 »

Quick update .... The track finally arrived last night! :D .... I only had time to crack open one of the track boxes and take a peek at one of the lanes .... That is some heavy duty aluminum :shock: .... I hope to get some more time this evening to actually assemble a complete section or 2 ..... Hate being all responsible and working when I could be home building (and quietly testing) that sucker :mrgreen: ....I'll post an update when we get it all put together and tested.
- Mike
Pack 187
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Pack 187 »

Mine arrive yesterday as well :D I planned on just opening one box to check it out, but ended up putting all 5 sections of track together and assembling the starting gate. Kind of like a kid with a new toy...just couldn't wait :mrgreen:

Can't wait to get it to an area where I can actually set it up for testing.

So far everything looks great from a quality standpoint.
Kevin