Aluminum Tracks

Commercial tracks.
Newatthis
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Aluminum Tracks

Post by Newatthis »

Stan Pope wrote:
Da Graphite Kid wrote: Although I still like the BestTrack stop section better and like the idea that the pwd cars will be going faster, I think that I will end up going with the Piantedosi aluminum track. The main reason being that the track geometry - curved section - matches that of the track that our 'Cubs' will be racing on at District.
The most important considerations are (1) whether the two tracks filter the same cars to the top and (2) whether the track yields consistent results, race after race.

If you repeated a heat several times with the same cars in the same lanes, each carefully staged each time, you rightfully expect almost identical results and separations. I observed 1/8" maximum variance in separations on the wooden Piantedosi track. I'd like to think the aluminum track would do as well. But, if you can, make the observations and post the results, please!

I'd also like to think that a car's elapsed times (ET) would be consistent under similar circulstances. We weren't able to measure ET's. If you can make those observations and post the results, please do.

I recall reading that one of the reasons for extending the aluminum track is that the track did not sufficiently differentiate the cars ... they were finishing too close together and giving inconsistent results. A likely cause is that the higher speeds amplified the effects of random influences. If true, then it argues against selecting a faster track.
Da Graphite Kid wrote:Now to convince my accountant. Sweetheart, honey, sweety...
That sounds like a very familiar scenario!
Thank you for this web site. I am in charge of finding a track for our pack to purchase this year. Our former leadership has left us with no other options as they burned all bridges with neighboring packs to borrow their tracks.

I have been searching and am beginning to lean toward the Piantedosi Aluminum track. Another committee member is leaning toward a plastic track. Opinions from anyone out there with more experience at this is much appreciated.

Thanks again!
Newatthis
MaxV
Merchant
Merchant

Post by MaxV »

You might want to read the article on track considerations in the current edition of the Pinewood Derby Times Newsletter. It was written by Steve Monk, the owner of Best Track. In the article, he discusses the various things you should consider when purchasing a track.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

[quote="MaxV"]You might want to read the article on track considerations in the current edition of the Pinewood Derby Times Newsletter. It was written by Steve Monk, the owner of Best Track. In the article, he discusses the various things you should consider when purchasing a track.

I found that that article is very biased towards aluminum tracks, specifically BestTrack. It doesn't mention any of the cons of aluminum, like higher cost and possibility of getting dented or bent, which may require replacement of an entire lane or track section. It also doesn't mention the pros of wood tracks, like lower cost and being easier to repair. There is also not much mention of plastic tracks.

BestTrack is a good track, but I rather favor a more unbiased discussion of the pros and cons of each type of track and then let the consumer decide which will best meet their needs and budget. But that's me.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
MaxV
Merchant
Merchant

Post by MaxV »

Obviously the article is somewhat biased towards the BestTrack, since the author is the owner of that company. However, I believe the article is valuable in that it raises questions to consider when purchasing a track - many of which people don't even think about.

For most organizations price is the key consideration. But as we all know, the durability, fairness, ease of use, etc. of the track will be appreciated or rued long after the price tag is forgotten.
Da Graphite Kid
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Da Graphite Kid »

Fellow Pineheads,
Gary at Piantedosi tracks has added more pictures to his web site. There's some good shots of the new start gate and stop section. I spoke to Gary while ordering my track and he said that they couldn't get any of their test cars to hit the end of the stop block. They are using a really agressive (friction wise) neoprene to help slow and stop the cars. Guess I'll be finding out in about 3 - 4 weeks! I'll post how it all went together and how well it works.

Now, I just have to order and install a timer, derby software... best get a new computer just for pwd racing... and where were those plans for that christmas tree start light...

Da Graphite Kid
:mrgreen:
Mike Parrish
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Mike Parrish »

Da Graphite Kid wrote:Guess I'll be finding out in about 3 - 4 weeks! I'll post how it all went together and how well it works.
Congrats. Can't wait to hear the results!
Race Fast-
Mike Parrish
Parrish Racing
www.derbydayz.com
ABoelow
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by ABoelow »

Well I guess we can get two new reviews on the subject, My pack just purchased a 6 lane Best Track. Or I guess I should say had one purchased for us. I went out looking for a sponsor and found a real saint.
His name is Ben Ram and he owns a Autobody shop Milwaukie Or. (AutoBody Technology) We just got to talking and we worked out a deal that he would pay for the Track,Timer and accessories and I would hand out business cards and T-shirts with his business logo on it. We are also getting stickers and ornaments a banner well you get the Idea. It should be a win win situation for all of us. Ben gets some advertising, this forum will get a first hand account on Best Track, Micro wizard timer and Grand Prix Manager software, and the boys of the Cascade Pacific Council get to use a Brand New Track. I will let you all in on how the Best Track and all perform.
On my Honnor, I will do my best to do my duty to God and My Country......
Da Graphite Kid
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

ABoelow, the timer and derby software you selected is what I am going with as well although I went with the Piantedosi track (since our District is using a wooden Piantedosi track). I've already got the timer and software but am still waiting to hear that my track has shipped. I expect to hear something before Christmas. Won't that be a great present! My oldest son (12 years) has agreed to help set up and run the track for our pwd derby and so will be reporting from that perspective as well.

Da Graphite Kid
Mike Parrish
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Mike Parrish »

Da Graphite Kid wrote:I expect to hear something before Christmas. Won't that be a great present!
Did you get your track for Christmas Kid? I just got off the phone with Steve @ Besttrack. Mine should be here in 3 to 4 weeks from now. I purchased a Newbold timer off of eBay a few weeks ago, and will be using Derby Master software. Can't wait to get it set-up and running :!: :!: I'll post more later.
Race Fast-
Mike Parrish
Parrish Racing
www.derbydayz.com
Da Graphite Kid
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Mike, I still have not heard that my track has shipped from Piantedosi yet. In fact I sent an e-mail to him today just before logging onto Derby Talk. I hope the flu bug hasn't hit them up there. Hopefully it won't be long as we originally scheduled our Pack race for February 7th. That may get rescheduled a week or two earlier due to a restructuring of the Districts within our Council - we are now in a different District and I have heard that their race is scheduled for February 7th! We always try and set or Pack rules to jive with our District rules but at this point we don't have rules, track or a confirmation of a race date and place. This rescheduling will also interfere with two planned construction workshops... Worse thing is, if the new track isn't delivered in time, we have no track to race on as someone lent out the old track and cannot remember who it went to! Ironically the reason we went with the Piantedosi track instead of the BestTrack was that the District track we ran on in the past is a Piantedosi. I haven't heard what our new District's track is yet. I think I'm going to be sick now... :sick:

I'm just praying that we hear from everyone soon and that there are no problems to be worked out with the track, timer and software. :pray:

Da Graphite Kid
Mike Parrish
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Mike Parrish »

Da Graphite Kid wrote: I'm just praying that we hear from everyone soon and that there are no problems to be worked out with the track, timer and software. :pray:
Da Graphite Kid
No pressure, right :?: :mrgreen:
Race Fast-
Mike Parrish
Parrish Racing
www.derbydayz.com
ExtremePWD
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ExtremePWD »

We just got our new track, timer and software this month. A couple of days ago we moved the furniture in my house and set it all up. (My wife is wonderful!) We really didn't have any problems to resolve but it does take time to check out the entire setup and achieve some level of proficiency with the software. Race night is not the time to be learning how to use everything. My recommendation is to run some sort of trials well in advance of race night. Even if you don't get the track in time the timer and software can be setup and triggered to simulate the main event.
Da Graphite Kid
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

ExtremePWD, I fully agree with you. If we haven't heard something really positive by this weekend, I'll have to attach the timer to my PC and simulate a race at home. Just wanted it here by now as with school still being out and Scouts not being active right now, we had the time and a place set up to practice in for this weekend.
No pressure, right
Pressure? :shock: What pressure? :shifty: :wall:

Da Graphite Kid
Cory
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Cory »

Just $0.02 this neck of the woods...

We built our track a year ago using the aluminum plating from Beta Crafts. We deviated from the Challenger design as to the overall shape.

Challenger calls for a single, very steep inclined section, followed by a sharp transition section, followed by three or four sections of flat. I believe this shape is similar to what BestTrack offers.

We built two less steep inclined sections, followed by a much gentler transition section, followed by three sections of flat. (Maybe not as perfect as the Piantedosi "easement", although I have to wonder if pulling the track down non-uniformly with 20 lbs of weight is a valid method for creating an easement. Perhaps it is.)

Our curved section is the arc of a circle with radius approx. 37'. The radius was determined via a geometric and trig analysis, using the height of the starting gate as a constraint. I'd be happy to share the analysis, and our implementation thereof (i.e. cutting the wood to match our specs, which was the more difficult part), especially if you're building a Challenger-like track.

All that said, we're very happy with our design choice.

Our Pack derby occurred this past weekend, and lane statistics can be found at http://pack146.nova.org/pinewood/results.html at the bottom of the page.
Mike Parrish
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Mike Parrish »

I received my 2 lane, 35 ft Best Track from Steve the first of February. I finally found the time to get it set up and tweaked in.
I am very happy with it and was very impressed at the quality and ease of assembly!
I will work on the Newbold timer tonight!
Our church will be looking at a 4-6 lane Best Track soon!
Race Fast-
Mike Parrish
Parrish Racing
www.derbydayz.com