VERY DISAPPOINTED

Commercial tracks.
Watch-out-for-that-frog
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: VERY DISAPPOINTED

Post by Watch-out-for-that-frog »

YUP I was EXACTLY there :(

You know if Ihad the bucks I would stock tracks for him as a dealer. Because I know he has to loose big wampum last minute shipping the way he is doing it. He needs dealers.
Smooth Sailing,
Karlton
Former Pack Master of Pinewood Disaster
campcrafter
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by campcrafter »

Or maybe just be his call center!':lol:'

We got tracking numbers and it is on its way!

Was in Lenexa KS last night and is still scheduled for delivery today! :D Hopefully I'll be able to pick it up at noon today.

So I do have to say that Gary is true to his word that he hasn't missed delivery for a derby!

Is assembly of the start gate and the rest as easy as it looks?

Any other tips or hints we should know about?

Thanks

CC
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

I just got a tracking number for the track that we ordered the last week of December for our Awana missionary. :dance: I don't know if their supply for annodized tracks is better than regular aluminum, but we've had no problems so far with our purchase and will have it by the date we specified.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
campcrafter
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by campcrafter »

:D Our track has arrived!!!

True to his word GP delivered in time for our derby - but we were nervous.

I will assemble to be sure all is there tonite. Then we will have our best derby ever!

That's good news raceman - I hope that Gary's problems are behind him and he can make good on delivery of all his orders.

CC
dave4him
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by dave4him »

Completely off the subject, I just had to say that Frog's "shifting" Smiley is the coolest!

BUT, I miss the squashed frog icon -- :cry:

OK, back on subject:

Campcrafter, buy a longer 5/32 hex wrench, or better yet, get a TORX T25 bit, (fits the 5/32 button head screws perfectly), for your cordless drill. Great timesaver :!:

I also replaced the little #6 machine screws for the horizontal braces with #6 thumb :thumbup: screws. It's a little easier for my little fat fingers to handle. :wink: No screwdriver needed!

Forget the PVC pipe for the weights. Get you a 16" piece of 1/2" galvanized pipe.

If your building the case from the Piantedosi website plans, check out this thread on some improvements and tips. http://derbytalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=1390&highlight=
David L. Barnes
"Reaching boys and girls with the Gospel of Christ, to train them to serve Him"
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

campcrafter wrote:I will assemble to be sure all is there tonite. Then we will have our best derby ever!
Just curious, did it come with their new stop section? http://pinewoodderbytrack.com/brakes.html
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
campcrafter
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by campcrafter »

Thanks for the hints Dave.

I did not get past putting the start gate together(not becasue of difficulty but time - I didn't get started til 10 PM), which by the way has been changed as of 1-1-06 according to the paperwork.

It guess that it does have the new braking system also according to the paperwork.

Being unfamiliar with it I'll describe what I've seen.

It looks like the cars run off the end of the track and the bottom drops out from under the wheels leaving the car on the high center .

I was excpecting the center to be an incline that lifted the car up.

:?

CC
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

campcrafter wrote:It looks like the cars run off the end of the track and the bottom drops out from under the wheels leaving the car on the high center .

Actually, the wheels dropping down is a far better design. With the inclined ramp, we had too many of the faster cars hit the end tabs, even on a 48ft track. We have had to put a wadded up sheet at the end of the ramp to prevent car damage.
Randy Lisano

campcrafter
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by campcrafter »

so the "old style" was an incline?

I take ya'lls expert experience and be glad we have the new style.

Iw ould like to say at this point thanks to everyone for allowing me to vent while becoming nervous about the delivery of our track.

Also this is one of the most civl and helpful forums I 've ever been part of. Even Scouting forums.

Everyone here is helpful and courteous. All seem to keep the main goal in mind - creating great PWD exepriences for kids.

Best to all - will report on how the derby goes - I' m taking off early to go help set-up for tonight. :D

CC
WarpSpeedINC
Merchant
Merchant

Post by WarpSpeedINC »

campcrafter wrote: It looks like the cars run off the end of the track and the bottom drops out from under the wheels leaving the car on the high center .

:?

CC
This is very similar to the Best Track braking section, but a little more user friendly. As I stated in an earlier post, we tried ours out last night, and it worked great.
We did put a couple of boards underneath the far end, to give it an incline. More for just an added measure of security than a necesity!

Warp Speed
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing!
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

provo61

Any news on your track?

campcrafter wrote:Also this is one of the most civl and helpful forums I 've ever been part of. Even Scouting forums.

Everyone here is helpful and courteous. All seem to keep the main goal in mind - creating great PWD exepriences for kids.
As Site Admin, I am very glad to hear that. Thumbs up to the Derby Talk members :thumbup: :thumbup:
Randy Lisano

Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

gpraceman wrote:Actually, the wheels dropping down is a far better design. With the inclined ramp, we had too many of the faster cars hit the end tabs, even on a 48ft track.
Great idea! :idea: I'm going to look at modifying my track (home made wood) to add a drop section. I was going to add a ramp, but I've heard about people sometimes making the ramp too steep and launching cars.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Pinewood Daddy wrote:but I've heard about people sometimes making the ramp too steep and launching cars.
That would be cool if you wanted to run a demolition derby :lol: Have a good stop section for the regular race and then put on the steep ramp for crash and bash.
Randy Lisano

Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

gpraceman wrote:That would be cool if you wanted to run a demolition derby :lol: Have a good stop section for the regular race and then put on the steep ramp for crash and bash.
I'm thinking of adding a bullseye at the end of the track. :lol:
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

gpraceman wrote:provo61

Any news on your track?
I talked with Jim and he did get his track. Some wrong parts were sent (for a 4 lane track, not a 6 lane), but Gary overnighted the correct parts. They should be good to go for their race tonight, but not without some new gray hairs.
Randy Lisano