Stopping device for track with no center rail!

General track discussions.
FRANKLIN WHALEY
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Stopping device for track with no center rail!

Post by FRANKLIN WHALEY »

We bought our track five years ago and nobody at our church knew anything about what track to buy. We ended up with a track with side rails instead of a center rail. From day one I have been scratching my head about how to stop the cars without damage to the wheels or alignment. Originally we had a box with foam rubber padding inside. The box had a divider so it worked ok. But since it was cardboard it kept getting damaged, and besides that, it didn't look very good on the end of the track. We now use a foam rubber bedding pad. It's folded and wrapped around the end of the track. It stops the cars great, but because they wedge themselves in I fear damage from either the sudden stop or from the pressure it takes to remove them. I have brought up putting a center rail on this track, but the idea was not favored by the other leaders. I know I could make a sweet stop section with a center rail to work with. I just can't think of any way to improve on what we have. Has anyone seen a stopping device that would work better on this type track?
BE A FISHER OF MEN!
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Stopping device for track with no center rail!

Post by gpraceman »

What about making a stop section with a center rail with tapered sides so the car will be guided onto the rail? Then the center rail can ramp up and slow the cars as their bellies rub on the rail.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
FRANKLIN WHALEY
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by FRANKLIN WHALEY »

Gpraceman, I thought about that too. I thought the impact on the wheels hitting an angled stationary object would possibly be worst on alignment than what we have now. I also considered if wheels weren't glued very tight, this jolt may pull them loose. We are hosting the state race in a month, so I will try this on some of our old cars and see what happens. I know we're going to hear some negative comments about our track anyway. If I can come up with a great stopping section, maybe everyone will like it as much as we do. Thanks for your help!!!
BE A FISHER OF MEN!
asatxj
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by asatxj »

Sounds like you have a Supertrack. We have one too (not for long though) I went to a place that makes mattresses and got a 14x14 x3 piece of the fancy "memory foam" that they use for exotic mattresses. I put it way near the end and put a 5lb weight on it so it cant move. It conforms to the track and absorbs car energy very well. Much easier than making something that will look pretty ugly and risk damaging cars.
BTW take the "garage" thing and put it under the track at the end and then put the foam on top of the track. Protects the circuit board and provides some braking.
Awana Commander
Jeep Fleet Maintenance Director
Dad
Bowhunter
I can't break the rules, I write them
!