How Are Track Lengths Measured?

Commercial tracks.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How Are Track Lengths Measured?

Post by gpraceman »

SuperDave wrote:gpraceman is correct in saying that track manufacturers measure end to end but of course he left out SuperTrack which uses 7' sections.
I wasn't sure offhand, so I only listed those that I knew.
SuperDave wrote:However, again as user of our noted, 7' sections fit in a mini-van, weigh less and stand up in an 8' room, even in the box.
I've been able to fit our 8' track, in the storage crate, in my wife's Toyota Sienna and get the hatch closed. I have to shove the front passenger seat all the way forward, fold down the 2nd and 3rd row seats, and load the crate in a bit diagonally, but it works. :D
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
PWD
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by PWD »

SuperDave, does the Super Track have a middle section like a traditional Pinewood Derby track? Or does it have outside guard rails?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

PWD wrote:SuperDave, does the Super Track have a middle section like a traditional Pinewood Derby track? Or does it have outside guard rails?
Not to steal Dave's thunder. It is an edge guide track, not a center guide.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
SuperDave

Post by SuperDave »

I'll try not to 'thunder', but let me take this opportunity to discuss center vs edge guide a bit. Center guide was the original wood design but an edge guided wood design appeared well over a decade ago from S&W Crafts. Center guide has a physical conflict inherent in its design. It needs to be high to keep the car in the lane, it needs to be low to avoid interfering with the car especially with the front or back bumper at the point of minimum radius of the curve. It is IMO a prototype error that never got fixed. Edge guiding avoids this conflict.

As far as I can tell (all other things being equal) there's essentially no difference between edge guiding and center guiding or at least the differences are 10th order effects. EXCEPT, there's one big difference. The solid center guide typical of wood tracks acts as an air spoiler under the car. This prevents the car from generating 'lift' and allows the COG to be placed further back in the car. SuperTrack, our plastic track, which uses edge guiding obviously does not have this spoiler. But not commonly recognized, neither to most aluminum tracks since they do not use a solid center guide but rather two narrow center rails with a large valley in between. (An argument could be made that the narrow rails enhance the lift by keeping the high pressure air from leaking out the side.)

Thus, a car designed to run on SuperTrack will run equally well on an aluminum track and vice versa. But either plastic or aluminum to/from wood may be a problem.
Mr. Slick
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Mr. Slick »

BSA/Beta Craft sections are 93" long.

Another way to identify it is if there one straight section at the top and then a curve at the end of the second section which is a full 93" piece? The BestTrack has a separate partial piece for the curve with a single section above the curve.
Mr. Slick says: Honey, I am doing this for the kids, not myself.
BigDozer66
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by BigDozer66 »

gpraceman wrote:
Buckeye wrote:The reasoning for the 94" sections is to be able to fit them into a case made from 8' plywood.
True, and I like that feature. We built two crates (one for our pack's track and one for our Awana missionary's track) and they do a good job at protecting the track during storage and transportation. But, boy, can they be heavy with all of that aluminum inside!
Randy,
I remember you saying this but my curiosity wanted to know just how heavy? :?:
After getting the 3 lane, 40' Piantedosi Freedom aluminum track assembled and the storage box built it was time to put it on the scales! :lol:

It weighed 188 Lbs. with the 2-10 Lb. weights in the box! :shock:

I had to use the Laws of Physics to get it unloaded and set-up on Derby Day with no help. :|

I just thought someone might want to know how heavy it is if they have a similar set-up.
Later,
Lynn
"one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Cubmaster and AWANA Game Director
BigDozer66
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by BigDozer66 »

gpraceman wrote:
SuperDave wrote:gpraceman is correct in saying that track manufacturers measure end to end but of course he left out SuperTrack which uses 7' sections.
I wasn't sure offhand, so I only listed those that I knew.
SuperDave wrote:However, again as user of our noted, 7' sections fit in a mini-van, weigh less and stand up in an 8' room, even in the box.
I've been able to fit our 8' track, in the storage crate, in my wife's Toyota Sienna and get the hatch closed. I have to shove the front passenger seat all the way forward, fold down the 2nd and 3rd row seats, and load the crate in a bit diagonally, but it works. :D
We had rain in the forecast and I didn't want it in the back of my F-150 SWB truck so I put it in the Pack trailer which is a 5 x 8 enclosed.
I had to put it in at an angle to fit in there but it did go. :)

Lynn
"one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Cubmaster and AWANA Game Director