Setting up on an uneven floor??

General track discussions.
PWTom
Pine Head
Pine Head

Setting up on an uneven floor??

Post by PWTom »

We have a 54 ft. long, six-lane aluminum on wooden frame track. How do people measure any "uneveness" in the sloping section of the track. I have seen my predecessors place a 4-ft level across the track to measure the "slope", then shim the supports to "level" tjhe track. I have my doubts as to the accuracy of such a measurement since you have to hold the level in place. Any slight misalignment and you are probably making things worse rather than better.

How do you measure the effect of uneven floors when setting up your tracks??
TurtlePowered
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Setting up on an uneven floor??

Post by TurtlePowered »

PWTom wrote:We have a 54 ft. long, six-lane aluminum on wooden frame track. How do people measure any "uneveness" in the sloping section of the track. I have seen my predecessors place a 4-ft level across the track to measure the "slope", then shim the supports to "level" tjhe track. I have my doubts as to the accuracy of such a measurement since you have to hold the level in place. Any slight misalignment and you are probably making things worse rather than better.

How do you measure the effect of uneven floors when setting up your tracks??
How do you run your races? If all racers are going to run each lane a little uneveness shouldn't really matter. But I do suppose that might penalize the cars with great alignment.
PWTom
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by PWTom »

We use a large (72 cars and up) Stearns matrix to run the races and assign places/trophies. The lane assignments in Stearns range from 7 to 1 for the 20 round format we used last year.

What I am really trying to address is that we had two lanes that appeared slower than others (lane 5 and 6). There was not an obvious reason for the difference, so I am trying to eliminate as many of the possiblities as I can. Watching the dads set up the track last year, I thought "There has to be a better way." Now I am responsible and hope to improve things this year to take the track/lane assignment out of the equation.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

PWTom wrote:What I am really trying to address is that we had two lanes that appeared slower than others (lane 5 and 6). There was not an obvious reason for the difference, so I am trying to eliminate as many of the possiblities as I can. Watching the dads set up the track last year, I thought "There has to be a better way." Now I am responsible and hope to improve things this year to take the track/lane assignment out of the equation.
I'd think the most likely cause for lane differences would be at the joints and due to track surface imperfections. If your track uses the Beta Crafts track plating, you might also look at the possibility of the plating for those lanes being slightly twisted or otherwise warped. As you assemble each track section, sight down each lane and see if you see any obvious problems.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
PWTom
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by PWTom »

Thanks for the input. I'll try to keep an eye out for any inconsistencies in the track as we put it together.
ExtremePWD
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ExtremePWD »

The last time we set up our track I used a long straight edge (24" min) to check that the guide strips were in alignment across the joints. Some flexibility is helpful on the curved sections of the track.