Track Paint scheme

General track discussions.
tgreidy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Track Paint scheme

Post by tgreidy »

I'm rehabbing my pack's track -- basic 3 lane design from cub leader how-to book -- and am soliciting ideas on the final look. It is 10 years old, and originally the rolling surface was just clear-coated wood, with the lane guides in the top section blue, second section gold, alternating down the track. However, even after sanding, the rolling surface needed quite a bit of putty work, so I was thinking of painting both the lane guides and the main surface so I can get a couple of good coats of primer to make the running surface even smoother. One suggestion I've had was to make the main surface blue (won't show as much dirt) and the lane guides gold.

Am I better off to just worry less about the look of the rolling area and concentrate on a good smooth final coat on it? Does painting the tire contact area present any special considerations I have to look into?

Looking for any help I can get.

Tim Reidy
San Antonio pack 333
Incoming Cubmaster and Pinewood Derby Czar
SlartyBartFast
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Track Paint scheme

Post by SlartyBartFast »

While this thread seems to be an old one, thought I might add a suggested method to rehabilitate old wood tracks.

Glue a new surface to the old tack. Formica, melamine, plastic, or other sheet material.

Contacting a kitchen counter manufacturer might even score some decent sized scrap material that may be perfect for surfacing a derby track.