What's the angle of slope on a Best Track?

Commercial tracks.
GimpyPaw
Pine Head
Pine Head

What's the angle of slope on a Best Track?

Post by GimpyPaw »

Building my own track, and I just want to know what the slope is on the comercial tracks. Anybody have one to check?
TAL
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: What's the angle of slope on a Best Track?

Post by TAL »

Paindesio is about 30-33 degrees at the starting gate...

I believe the average is about 30 to 35 degrees, I read around 32 degrees in an old "HOW TO" bsa handbook ...

If you are building with plywood you could cut the legs a certain length and put them in the right place and the angle should be about right...

Legs on our track are 42" and 12" long...

Hinge point for the long leg is 12" from the end of the track for the long leg and the hinge point for the short leg is 82" from th end of the track...

The end I' referring to is the starting gate end...

With the 12" of track between the hinge point of the long leg and the end of the track is the starting gate...

This may help you get a better idea, www.pinewoodderbytrack.com and click on specs
GimpyPaw
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by GimpyPaw »

Thanks, that's what I needed. I'm leaving a full 12" behind the starting gate, incase I ever want to run semi trucks or unlimited with launching systems, so I will put the starting gate @ 48". After that, I will just lift track lower down until I find where it places my slope at the right angle.

Thanks again.
TAL
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by TAL »

Well if you want 12" of track behind the pins you will need to mount the legs 16" from the end instead of the 12" I stated earlier, because with the long legs hinging at the 12" mark from the end of the track it only leaves room for a 8" car starting ...

The reason being is because you will need room for the pins to drop without hitting the legs of the track, you also need room for a switch of some kind to start the timer when you drop the pins...
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Go Bubba Go »

GimpyPaw wrote:...I'm leaving a full 12" behind the starting gate, incase I ever want to run semi trucks or unlimited with launching systems
Good for you!!! 2 part vehicles (Semis, Pickups pulling boats, etc.) add some more fun for the boys to watch. Some friends of ours built a track with 10" behind the starting pegs and we built a custom reaaallly extended wheelbase car just for show. With the higher PE, it flew!

Just make sure you "measure twice, cut once" with respect to where you mount the "legs" as TAL indicated above regarding Starting pin droppage, etc.
"Who's Grandpa's neighbor?"... Phil Davis, Down and Derby
GimpyPaw
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by GimpyPaw »

I spent 8 years in a custom cabinet shop, so don't worry, I tend to get the cuts right. It's a 45 foot track, plus another 4 ft for the stop section. With the 12" staging platform and placing the finishing line 12" from the end I will have a 42' run. That's a good thing too, because I'm not sure I can slip an electronic timer past my wife. :D
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

GimpyPaw wrote:I'm not sure I can slip an electronic timer past my wife. :D
Tell us when it is coming in and one of us wil distract her with a phone call!
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"