Quality Tracks

Commercial tracks.
hwsjr
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Quality Tracks

Post by hwsjr »

Has anyone bought one of their tracks? www.qualitytracks.com If so can you run a rail rider on this track? The way they do the joints makes me wonder if it would make it difficult to test a rail rider on this track.
hwsjr
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Quality Tracks

Post by hwsjr »

Or do rail riders in general work better on metal tracks?
Nitro Dan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Nitro Dan »

Got one of these tracks back around the end of August. I haven't had a chance to create a rail rider and test it yet. As long as the dominant wheel is turning into the rail gradually over a period of distance, I believe it will run the rail on the Quality Track just fine. Of course, an aluminum track would be better as it has no break in on the guide strip between the track sections.

-Nitro Dan
Take good and make it great. Take fast and make it faster. Performance drives success!
hwsjr
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by hwsjr »

Please post once you have had a chance to test a rail rider on it.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Are they still in business? Either that or their website is just down.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
hwsjr
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by hwsjr »

I don't know. I've noticed their site is down as well.
GILLS
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by GILLS »

Hi, we are sad to announce that we at Qualty Tracks have decided to stop building tracks at this time, but that it was not by our choice. The problem started several months ago when the local wholesale distributor of the plywood material that I use brought in a import product to replace the good quality American made plywood that I was purchasing. After several meetings with the management of this company, they decided to keep the import and stop selling the american made material. So what's the big deal? Let me give you some facts about American made vs. Chineese import.
American plywood manuf. have a standard that states all plywood layers MUST be dried to a MAXIMUM of 10% MOISTURE present at the time of core production.
Chineese or other Asian import does NOT have ANY STANDARDS related to moisture content.
American plywood standards on core layers are that all core layers should be full dimension with only 2% -5% maximum reduction. (This means that the layers of the plywood must be full size with only 2%-5% overlap within the same layer).
Chineese or other Asian imports have NO standards. They will throw ALL layer pieces into the plywood regardless of size.
American made plywood have strict standards on glue volume between layers.
Chineese or other Asian imports don't really have no standards equal to American standards.
All of the info that I have stated comes direct from my plywood manufacturers, Columbia Hardwoods.
To prove what I am stating, the next time any of you are in your local H.D. or Lowes, go the their plywood section and look at their 3/4" oak or Birch veneer plywood and follow the layers and see how inconsistant and jagged they are. Also look at the cull sheets and see how this 4'x8'x3/4" material is dramaticlly curling up on the ends. And then you should notice a blue ink stamp on one edge that says: Made in China. It is simply the high moisture content that causes the curling.
Now back to us, I contacted the manufacturer and had several discussions with them and ultimately they refused to sell me direct. Their next closest stocking distributor that handled the product I use was about 5.5 hrs away one way. After obtaining several motor freight quotes, assuming potential material damage during delivery, my net cost would skyrocket and cause us to raise prices a minimum of 100% plus.
We also REFUSE to use LOWER QUALITY IMPORT product! Our mission was to build a quality pwd track for the small church groups,cub scout packs, or individuals that wanted a good track but could not afford the higer cost aluminum tracks. After selling over 120 tracks the last few years, we felt that we were serving this market segment very well and was glad to do so. Again this decision was not one that we wanted to make, but one that we unfortunately had to make. We still have a few orders that we are finishing productiuon on, but no more will be accepted. Thank you for your time in reading this post.
Mr. Slick
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Mr. Slick »

All I can say is BUMMER!

RailRiders require very straight and SMOOTH rail edges since they rub all the way down the track. While AL is easy wood tracks work just as well with proper care and maintenance. Our wooden pack track lasted for 25 years before we replaced it with a shiny new one.
Mr. Slick says: Honey, I am doing this for the kids, not myself.
Nitro Dan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Nitro Dan »

Stacy, sorry to hear that you had to close shop. I like the track I got from you and I can vouch that the plywood was top notch. I was hoping to get a larger track from you in a few years when my daughters start Girl Scouts. Hopefully a way may present itself to you and you'll be able to open shop once again. You do really good work, this track is nothing that I could have ever built on my own.

-Nitro Dan
Take good and make it great. Take fast and make it faster. Performance drives success!
docb
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by docb »

hwsjr wrote:Has anyone bought one of their tracks? www.qualitytracks.com If so can you run a rail rider on this track? The way they do the joints makes me wonder if it would make it difficult to test a rail rider on this track.
You can absolutely run a rail rider on this track. I have a quality track and have built and raced many cars, all of them being rail riders. If you put your track together properly you can get the joints very tight. :D
hwsjr
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by hwsjr »

Now that Quality Tracks is no longer operating, who makes a cheap good quality track for a test track?
jackstrat
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by jackstrat »

Not to stick my nose where it does not belong, but I go through a lot of plywood and have recently begun using the Chinese import baltic-birch product.

Advantages:
Unlike typical baltic-birch, the Chinese variety comes in 4' x 8' sheets.

I found the larger number of veneers (over American made) produce a very stable product.

I am paying 1/3 less for it and as far as I am concerned, it is better than the American and Canadian alternatives.

Disadvantages:
None so far, other than further destroying the trade imbalance.

Jack
Hurly64
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Hurly64 »

I was told by one of the larger suppliers in OC that there is alot of poplar in the Chinaboard. Poplar is not a stable wood in and of itself. I personally havent used the Chinaboard, so I can't vouch for or argue with your experience. But the poplar in the equation discourages me from using it.
Gameday
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Gameday »

Just a quick note to let you know that if Stacy Gilbert (Quality Tracks) ever starts building tracks again his tracks and customer service are fantastic. I bought a 2-laner from him about a year ago and the workmanship is fantastic. When I first received my track it was damaged in shipment and he got a new one to me asap.

Also, two or three weeks ago I contacted him even though I knew he stopped building tracks because I wanted to upgrade our Pack's Piantedosi 3 lane track starting gate mechanism. Stacy's tracks use a metal gate that is release/spring activated, unlike the Piantedosi which is manually activated.

I gave Stacy the specs and he delivered a perfect starting mechanism within a week at a very reasonable cost. He's not in the business of building/selling gates and I'm sure he did it as a favor even though he doesn't know me, but this sure says a lot about his service.

If he is able to solve his wood supply problem and starts building tracks again I would highly recommend him.
Nitro Dan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Nitro Dan »

I really like the design of the Quality Tracks as well. I can setup my track anywhere by myself in as little as 20 minutes. If I ever need to get another track, I'll have someone build one in the same design as this one. It may cost me more than what Stacy originally sold it to me for, but I think it would be worth it. Hopefully he'll be back in business by then and I won't have to go that route.

-Nitro Dan