Composite wood for test track?

DIY tracks.
buschpounder
Apprentice
Apprentice

Composite wood for test track?

Post by buschpounder »

I was recently in the local lumber store and saw a 16 ft composite board 6 inches (5 1/2) wide. I picked up an end and it curved nicely. Now for my questions. Do you think the composite would be suitable for a test track? Is 16 feet a long enough length for a test track to get a feel for the cars? I could make it longer obviously but I thought a track without seems would be good and I could still store it in the garage. Thanks
ohiofitter
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Composite wood for test track?

Post by ohiofitter »

If it was me I would make a test track at least 24 feet.....Most tracks made of wood are as followed...4x8 sheet of plywood cut to how ever many lanes..the first piece is the starting gate....(on our track the last foot starts the curve) then the second piece finishes the curve...But IMO I don't believe you get to see how your weight placement truly helps out your car on a 16 foot track.
quadad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Composite wood for test track?

Post by quadad »

I would think that two of these might work nicely for a single lane test track. You have several options for ways to join the sections and could even stagger the rail guide joints to help make a nice mesh.

If it needs re-inforcement in the curve, you could throw a piece of 1/4" plywood underneath it. I am a real believer that your test track ought to immitate the path of the one you race on.

Since I have 3 cubs, I couldn't get by with a single lane test track, I am sure the boys (and their sister sometimes) will want to see their cars compete against each other.