Any Experience with the Track from Make Tracks?

Commercial tracks.
RMoose
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Any Experience with the Track from Make Tracks?

Post by RMoose »

I was wondering if anyone was using the Make Tracks track on sale at www.royalracers.com?

A 2 lane, 32 ft. track is listed as $155.00 & $45.00 for shipping, which doesn't sound too bad. Site says it is made from 1/2 inch cabinet grade plywood with #2 pine used for the track support. That sounds comparable to many homemade tracks and like it would work for a test track too!

Does anyone have any experience with this track as either their main track or a test track? Is it worth the price?
We are Ambassadors for Christ
Hurly64
Journeyman
Journeyman

Re: Any Experience with the Track from Make Tracks?

Post by Hurly64 »

There is another thread on this forum about that track. Do a search. From what I understand, Its basically a bunch of pieces already cut that you put together from what I understand. For about the same price, I could make one out of 1/4" MDF w/ a factory coat of vinyl, already put together. I don't do it commercially, just as a hobby to offset the cost of the consumables in my workshop. See my post on "New track for the pack" for pics.
GILLS
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by GILLS »

Hurley 64 is correct. That particular track is unfinished with nothing pre-drilled or pre-assembled. You have to drill all holes and put everything together yourself. It is a bottom side assembly and has to be flipped over to bolt together and flipped back upright to be used. I speak from personal experience from my church that had purchased one several years ago. If you are skilledwith the tools it would'nt be that bad.
Bryan
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Bryan »

We have been using Super Tracks model and have had good luck with it. Super Tracks do not use a center section to keep the cars on the track. It has beveled outer edges that work quite well. Since we have been using it we have had cars jumping off the track.
http://www.supertimer.com/track/supertrack.html
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Bryan wrote:It has beveled outer edges that work quite well. Since we have been using it we have had cars jumping off the track.
Seems inconsistent ... is this what you intended to say??? Works well, so cars are jumping track???
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
3 Cub Dad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by 3 Cub Dad »

Randy,

I think we had already discussed the super track stop system

http://www.supertimer.com/track/trackfinish.html

It's brutal on cars.

RMoose,

My concern on the MakeTrack would be similar. The stop system looks like it could do some serious damage.

http://www.royalracers.com/main1.htm

Steve
Bryan
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Bryan »

Seems inconsistent ... is this what you intended to say??? Works well, so cars are jumping track???

No sorry. I should proof before I hit the submit button.
We had problems with cars jumping off our old wood track but not with the super track.
quadad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by quadad »

So Bryan, how did the stop system work for you ? I wonder about it as well.
GILLS
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by GILLS »

We recently hosted a big RA Derby race in which one of the tracks used was a Make Tracks track, and the people had purchased the stopping garage as per their website. It has about a two to three inch thick foam, similar to what is found in furniture padding, and as the car enters the stopping garage the padding slopes downward and pinches the car to the track as it gets deeper in the stopping garage. I was operating another track during the event, so I can't say if it caused any alignment damage or not, but I would say that any external decorative parts could be in danger.