Best Track Joint Alignment

Commercial tracks.
3 Cub Dad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Best Track Joint Alignment

Post by 3 Cub Dad »

Just thought I'd share something I picked up yesterday. We've had a problem with the alignment of of the sections of our 4 lane track. Basically where it creates a "bump" across all 4 lanes at the connection. (at least it was consistent across all four lanes).

Anyway, last year we just thought it was the floor surface. This year we painstakingly checked level, smoothness, etc. even sanded edges. Still had a problem with this section. Talked with Best track yesterday and they stated that they have, very rarely, seen this problem where some of the bores for the pins may be slightly out of tolerance. We had the pins on the down track side facing towards the starting line. The simple correction is to take the pins out of the down stream side and put them in the upstream, closer to the start, section of track. Apparently they modified their assembly instructions some time last year to include this.

Haven't tried it yet, but it sounds like a simple soulution. I'm going to try it this weekend in getting the track ready for district.

Just thought I'd put this out there in case anyone else was seeing a similar problem.

Steve
3 Cub Dad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Best Track Joint Alignment

Post by 3 Cub Dad »

Just as a follow up. I changed almost all the pins to the "upstream" position, ie, closer to the start line. All I can say is WOW! It really made a difference in the track. All of our cars picked up speed, both the RR and the straight aligned. If you're responsible for your tracks maintenance, I would definately recommend this!

Steve