No slip safety tape for stop section ?

General track discussions.
quadad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

No slip safety tape for stop section ?

Post by quadad »

Has anyone considered or tried one of these no-slip safety tapes for the stop section ? Here is one example I just came across on line, but I saw something similar at a Menards store recently and that made me think about it.
http://www.noskidding.com/pdf/NS4500_Web.pdf

There are several types, including some that are OK for foot traffic (and therefore maybe won't damage the cars ?).
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: No slip safety tape for stop section ?

Post by gpraceman »

That seems like the sam type of stuff that I used for the track that I built for our old Awana club. It worked out well enough. After a while you do need to clean off the build up of graphite. I think I got the stuff at Home Depot.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
dna1990
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by dna1990 »

Our experience has been poor. The kind we have is too coarse for the smooth wood bottom of a PWD car. It just flies right on by. It was made to stop a rubber soled shoe or something.

We are getting some of the more 'foam' based type material. I read here somewhere one of the track makers will sell their stop material.
quadad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by quadad »

dna1990 wrote:Our experience has been poor. The kind we have is too coarse for the smooth wood bottom of a PWD car. It just flies right on by. It was made to stop a rubber soled shoe or something.

We are getting some of the more 'foam' based type material. I read here somewhere one of the track makers will sell their stop material.
I am not surprised by your comment with the 'rougher stuff', but I saw some that is designed for foot traffic as well. Don't know though if that will make it not stop the cars.

Our saw the note about Best Track stop material. That was mentioned as being only 1/16" thick. Is this what you are calling "foam based" ? If so, how much foam can be in 1/16" ?
Randy and Son
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Randy and Son »

I would think it would it help to place a little piece of this tape on the rear bottom of a car? It might help some stop sections to actually stop the car sooner. Especially on cars that don't have much surface area on the bottom.

Randy
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

Randy and Son wrote:I would think it would it help to place a little piece of this tape on the rear bottom of a car? It might help some stop sections to actually stop the car sooner. Especially on cars that don't have much surface area on the bottom.

Randy
I thing I read Warp puts a small piece of sandpaper on the bottom of his to help in stopping.

Since it looks like Piantedosi has sold his track business to MicroWizard I guess I can reveal the source of the stop tape. It comes from McMaster-Carr but I couldn't find it without knowing the exact part number. I'll check at home.
quadad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by quadad »

Pinewood Daddy wrote:[Since it looks like Piantedosi has sold his track business to MicroWizard I guess I can reveal the source of the stop tape. It comes from McMaster-Carr but I couldn't find it without knowing the exact part number. I'll check at home.
I am just curious what kind of material might be good. I have seen some fairly inexpensive neoprene rubber like this:
http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories ... 20rubber/0

A thin rubber would work for me as I have a removable riser section stacked on top of the basic lane guide already. I could tuck the edges of the rubber inbetween the two and use the assemble to hold it in place (at least that's the theory).

Be good to MicroWizard though, they have been great to me with their inexpensive timer kits and super product support.
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

Pinewood Daddy wrote:Since it looks like Piantedosi has sold his track business to MicroWizard I guess I can reveal the source of the stop tape. It comes from McMaster-Carr but I couldn't find it without knowing the exact part number. I'll check at home.
OK, I found it. Here it is.... Are you ready????? Here it comes!!! Formerly classified information!!!!!!

McMaster-Carr #93625K148, 50ft roll, $17.93.
1/16” thick x 1-1/2” Elastic Natural Gum Foam Rubber. Soft Adhesive backed strips – Textured finish.

Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

OK, enough fooling around.

http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?pagenum=3431

McMaster-Carr #93625K148, 50ft roll, $17.93.
1/16” thick x 1-1/2” Elastic Natural Gum Foam Rubber. Soft Adhesive backed strips – Textured finish.

This stuff woks great!! The stop section on my track is only 3 feet long and no car has gone farther than 2 feet down it. Order it on Friday, you'll probably have it on Monday.
terryep
Merchant
Merchant

Post by terryep »

An option to tape is 2 beads of silicone RTV. After it cures you can trim it flat with a knife if needed. Looks like a railroad track and won't peel up when it gets a couple years old.
Terry
Nitro Dan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Nitro Dan »

Just re-did the stop section on my track with this stuff here:

http://www.cleverbrand.com/portal.aspx? ... 5C1F3977DD#

It's made for non-skid tool box drawer liner, but it works real well. Here's a few others they offer as well:

http://www.cleverbrand.com/Portal.aspx? ... 5C1F3977DD

-Nitro Dan
Take good and make it great. Take fast and make it faster. Performance drives success!