Track Length, what do you really prefer ? What do you use ?

General track discussions.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Track Length, what do you really prefer ? What do you use ?

Post by sporty »

I read some of the previous posts.

I got asked recently my thoughts on a 40 foot track compared to the current track of 32 footer.

I gave a reply, pretty much giving pro's and con's of a longer track versus a 32 footer.

But I wondered how many actually use 40 or 42 footers ?

I would think local packs would want something close to what there district or council race runs.

Also, I did see where someone posted along the line of my comments.

The differance of the cars having a closer finish at 32 or 35 footer track compared to a 40 foot track.

I also know are council runs 32-35 foot tracks typically. So I would like to think that, this is more fairer to the packs also. when the local pack uses something close to what district or council uses.

Sporty
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Track Length, what do you really prefer ? What do you us

Post by Darin McGrew »

Ours is about 32', which is fine for a wooden track.

A smoother track (e.g., an aluminum track) would allow us to have a longer track (which I'm not sure we have room for in our fellowship hall) or a smaller drop (which would make it easier to stage the cars, perhaps even allowing the kids to stage their own cars).

Regional derbies are not an issue for us.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Track Length, what do you really prefer ? What do you us

Post by gpraceman »

With an aluminum track, I prefer a 40 to 42 feet long one. Any shorter and it seems the cars are more crashing to a stop than gently stopping. Any longer and you increase the odds of slower cars not even finishing.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.