Curve in track and storage

Commercial tracks.
SharkBait
Apprentice
Apprentice

Curve in track and storage

Post by SharkBait »

In looking at the Best Track vs. the Micro Wizard aluminum Freedom track, we noticed that the Best Track has the curve permanently built in whereas the Micro Wizard track is built straight. It would seem like the storage would be a lot easier with the Micro Wizard without the bend. Can anyone comment on this? Is it a big deal?

Thanks!

Steve
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Curve in track and storage

Post by gpraceman »

SharkBait wrote:In looking at the Best Track vs. the Micro Wizard aluminum Freedom track, we noticed that the Best Track has the curve permanently built in whereas the Micro Wizard track is built straight. It would seem like the storage would be a lot easier with the Micro Wizard without the bend. Can anyone comment on this? Is it a big deal?
Each is a good track, but each has its pros and cons. In terms of storage, the MW track is much more compact.

With either, I'd recommend building a storage crate to help protect the track during storage and transport. It's a big investment only to have stuff get piled on top of it in storage or banged around by people not careful enough during handling.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
SharkBait
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by SharkBait »

Yes, I just looked at each company's storage box plans. The Best Track box is twice as thick and wide for our size track (4 lane, 32"). Plus, we would need to have two of these boxes for the Best Track! That is a big difference in storage space.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Here's a photo of my workshop, where I currently have 3 tracks stored (long story). You can see a 40ft MW track in its storage crate (the crate can hold up to a 48ft track) with a 35ft BestTrack on top (actually there is one other section not shown, making it a 42 ft track). It gives a little perspective as to how compact they store. It is hard to tell in this photo, but the rear legs of the track stick out past the sides of the other sections.

Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Of course, storage is only one criteria to look at when buying a track. You also have to look at cost, setup time, durability, ease of transport (7ft sections vs 8ft), warranty, customer service, etc.

Personally, I think you can't go wrong with either one. It just boils down to which factors are a bit more important to you and whether you can live with (or work around) the cons of the one you go with.
Randy Lisano

TAL
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by TAL »

As stated , both have pros and cons.

Also you may want to slightly consider the next level of competition. What is popular in your area?

If it is a Bsa primary track will they be raceing on the same kind of track at the next level of competition?

I do believe MW is more suitable for kids building, being it has the longer slope.

But if you are a semi pro or pro builder , I believe the best track is more challeging.

But again, some of the other pros and cons can out way these factors.
BestTrack
Merchant
Merchant

Post by BestTrack »

SharkBait wrote:In looking at the Best Track vs. the Micro Wizard aluminum Freedom track, we noticed that the Best Track has the curve permanently built in whereas the Micro Wizard track is built straight. It would seem like the storage would be a lot easier with the Micro Wizard without the bend. Can anyone comment on this? Is it a big deal?

Thanks!

Steve
When properly placed in our storage box, the curve is placed face down on top of the straight sections with the stop section next to it. (With cardboard padding between layers!) The height of the curve in this position is about 5.5 inches. The storage box plans can also be narrowed by 7 inches for a 4 lane track.

The 7ft. straight sections are placed in the box alternating face up or face down to minimize storage height. This allows the connector angles on the bottom side of the track to overlap each other.
Due to the thickness of our extrusions, and because all of our fastening hardware is mounted on the underside of our track, it takes a little more height to store.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

BestTrack wrote:When properly placed in our storage box, the curve is placed face down on top of the straight sections with the stop section next to it. (With cardboard padding between layers!) The height of the curve in this position is about 5.5 inches. The storage box plans can also be narrowed by 7 inches for a 4 lane track.

The 7ft. straight sections are placed in the box alternating face up or face down to minimize storage height. This allows the connector angles on the bottom side of the track to overlap each other.
Due to the thickness of our extrusions, and because all of our fastening hardware is mounted on the underside of our track, it takes a little more height to store.
Good to have you drop in Steve and clarify. I almost thought you forgot about us. :lol:
Randy Lisano

Humvderby
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Humvderby »

Best Track,

What size would the storage box need to be for a 42 ft. 2 lane track? In addition does anyone have any suggestions or pictures of a material to use inside the box to hold the track sections in place?

Obviously I am looking for a long lasting light weight material for cushioning and packing the track sections. I was thinking the track sections should be secured from moving inside the box while transporting.

Your suggestions and or pics would be appreciated!

FYI I have a 42 ft. 2 lane Best Track and I think the track was appropiatley named. I don't think there is a better track out there. I know all of the Pro's of the track however I haven't noticed any Con's? Just my .02 cents worth.

Humv
Dream Job--"Derby Car Analyst"--
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Humvderby wrote:FYI I have a 42 ft. 2 lane Best Track and I think the track was appropiatley named. I don't think there is a better track out there. I know all of the Pro's of the track however I haven't noticed any Con's? Just my .02 cents worth.
I've worked with both of the most popular track brands. They both have their pros and cons, so what is best for one person/organization may not be best for another. It all depends on which set of pros you prefer and which set of cons that you can live with or are not so important to you.
Randy Lisano

boss429
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by boss429 »

Our pack replaced a wooden track with a Freedom track 3 years ago. I was not involved with the decision over which track we purchased but I do recall a major consideration was the type of track used at the district level and the tracks used by other packs in the area.

We are pleased with the track and know of no negative issues with it.