An issue of ethics

General track discussions.
bounce
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: An issue of ethics

Post by bounce »

Ok then here is a question that I have about this... My father in law has a machine shop with mills and lathes in it, now while I dont have children in cub scouts, we do race in the Awana GP and our rules say nothing about the tuning of the wheels, well we played with the wheels and figured out how to make the 1 gram wheels and also re machine the axles. Now bear in mind that I am using all of the parts that came with out orig kit, would you think that this would be counted as cheating? Just a question I ask you guys. Now I would say that this is fine because all the rules state is that you have to use the parts that came in the kit. I also opened this up to other people in Awana but nobody took me up on it. Nobody really gets into it as much as we do. We also figured out how to cut them down so they are just the disks, but I wouldent use those because I think that those would be cheating. Thanks in advance
PWD_addict
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by PWD_addict »

bounce wrote:Ok then here is a question that I have about this... My father in law has a machine shop with mills and lathes in it, now while I dont have children in cub scouts, we do race in the Awana GP and our rules say nothing about the tuning of the wheels, well we played with the wheels and figured out how to make the 1 gram wheels and also re machine the axles. Now bear in mind that I am using all of the parts that came with out orig kit, would you think that this would be counted as cheating? Just a question I ask you guys. Now I would say that this is fine because all the rules state is that you have to use the parts that came in the kit. I also opened this up to other people in Awana but nobody took me up on it. Nobody really gets into it as much as we do. We also figured out how to cut them down so they are just the disks, but I wouldent use those because I think that those would be cheating. Thanks in advance
Totally legal if the rules don't state otherwise. Our rules don't allow that because not everyone has access to those tools. Our rules don't disallow test tracks . . . .
Turbo_Python
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Turbo_Python »

Thats a very good point. Not everyone has a machine shop, and I inquired repeatedly about how far we can go, and I got the official answer as we just follow the rules laid out by BSA on website link X. I got there and find nothing more than I already knew. So I ask my den leader and he was as eager as me, and reaffirmed the original rules still stand. I eventually said to heck with it, I'm working from the boxed rules. It said we can polish the axles, so man did I polish the axles. I had considered it was an unfair advantage, but then thought well heck, the rules are in place for everyone to see and use. I lost my fear of going all the way when I realized just how many of these kids had some pretty well off parents who had money enough for giant flat screens and pricey SUV's, what am I afraid of? Next year I hope to really lay it on em and do better.