What track is this?

Commercial tracks.
SpartanGA
Pine Head
Pine Head

What track is this?

Post by SpartanGA »

I would like to know if anyone knows what manufacturer of track is in these pictures and what the normal length is based on the sections installed? I know my son's track times and I am curious if they are 'good' times or if our Pack was average to slow.

thx
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What track is this?

Post by gpraceman »

Hard to tell just from that view, but it may be a Piantedosi Oars (now Micro Wizard) wooden track.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
SpartanGA
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by SpartanGA »

What other view would help?
priority
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by priority »

Based on the bolt hole patterns and the shape, I agree with Randy that this is a wooden Piantedosi.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

SpartanGA wrote:What other view would help?
Seeing the stop section and the legs on the start section.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
psycaz
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by psycaz »

Looks like 32' counting sections.
SpartanGA
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by SpartanGA »

gpraceman wrote:
SpartanGA wrote:What other view would help?
Seeing the stop section and the legs on the start section.
Here is the start and stop areas.

My son's cars fast time was 2.42s...so if it is 32', then that is 13.2 ft/s. It was not a smooth track...a few of the sections didnt line up great..one car actually it an edge and flipped off the track.

Districts run a metal track with spring loaded starters.

gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

I can't really see the leg structure or the very end of the stop section. With a Piantedosi track there is a set of 10lb weights on the front legs to give the track its full curve. The very end of the stop section would have a foam pad held in place by two bolts.

Still, it looks to be a Piantedosi track.

I'd really recommend they swap out that old style wrist action start gate with the newer design that snaps open by spring with the use of a trip lever. That old style gate can lead to timing inaccuracies, since if the operator is slow enough, the cars can start rolling but are restricted by the pins yet timing had already started.
Randy Lisano

SpartanGA
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by SpartanGA »

I did see a set of silver weights (barbell type weights) hanging from under the starting line or somewhere in that area. I dont have a pic of it.

I never saw the finish area as we used the beach towel to more gently stop the cars.
SpartanGA
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by SpartanGA »

Here is a pic I found...shows the weights
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

SpartanGA wrote:Here is a pic I found...shows the weights
Looks like they put the weights towards the wrong set of legs.
Randy Lisano

Mr. Slick
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Mr. Slick »

Looks very much like a four lane version of the How-To-Book plans.

Humor follows: These are typically built by a group of dads working late into the night in someones workshop the night before the big race since the old track is in really poor shape. :lol:

Here is a link to a rather comprehensive set of track information including the Piantedosi track and the How-To-Book track:
www.geocities.com/Yosemite/9152/pwd-tracks.html

If you want suggestions on how to convert the start to a spring activated one and to verify a couple of other questions. Photos I would like to see:
  • Underside of starting pin/lever area
    Side view of starting pin/lever area
    End view from starters position
    Side view of transition area from front(short) leg to after the track is on the floor
    Side view of the first section.
Mr. Slick says: Honey, I am doing this for the kids, not myself.
woodenshoe1
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by woodenshoe1 »

That is definitely a Piantedosi track. We have one just like it. And yes, the weights should be near the curved area of the track. I measured our's once and I think from pin to sensor it was 28' 6". I would like to change out the hand-flipped starting control someday. Anybody have a recommendation?

Wooden Shoe
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

woodenshoe1 wrote:I would like to change out the hand-flipped starting control someday. Anybody have a recommendation?
Yep. Order the new style gate from Micro Wizard. It should retrofit to the wooden track without much of a problem. I did this with our old pack's wooden track.
Randy Lisano

GravityRacer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by GravityRacer »

The rusty nails near the starting gate (look in front of the snail car) put it in the "How-To" category for me, at least. Though the two tracks I built during my tenure in Scouting were built on the "How-To" plans, and were either shellaced or painted to within an inch of their lives and waxed to a shine that hurt the eyes.

Mr Slick: I always built my tracks weeks ahead of the race, but that makes me a rarity...based on what I see of the world. :P