"Old Bumpy" wooden track questions...

General track discussions.
MidTNWebelosdad
Apprentice
Apprentice

"Old Bumpy" wooden track questions...

Post by MidTNWebelosdad »

:roll: I'm sure this subject has been discussed, but I was wondering how many Packs/Dens have dealt with the Tradition Factor of using the same old and bumpy track that has been around for 30+ years! (true). Our District Race is hosted by a Pack that continues to want to use the hired gun (who does a good job BTW) to run the race year after year. I appreciate the man and respect his willingness to continue. The issue I and others have is with the Track being bumpy at every joint. While the Host Pack seems to resist any change, the thought has come to my mind that IF A LETTER WAS SENT TO ALL PACKS within the District asking to "rate" the Track and the Race Experience this info could be taken to the Host Pack so possible action could be taken. I'm wondering just how many others feel the same about this "old bumpy"...?
PWD_addict
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: "Old Bumpy" wooden track questions...

Post by PWD_addict »

Interesting question. In my Pack, I think I'm one of the only ones who thinks we need a new track. Ours is very bumpy at the joints. Of course, my son and I have built winning cars the last three years so we shouldn't complain.

Do you have many cars that fly off the track? If you do, it's probably time to replace it. Our worst issue is just past the Finish Line. Doesn't affect the time but can send cars airborne into the stop section. My daughter's last year car got cracked this year while we were setting up the track. That thing was not aggressively built but was extremely fast. I just don't want one of our Cubs to have his car destroyed and his hopes for a trophy dashed by our rough track. My son's Tiger year, we were the beneficiary of that when the other fast car crashed and had to run backwards the rest of the Grand Finals. My son ended up winning as a result. He may have won otherwise but it was guaranteed after the crash.

Are you in a Pack in the District not involved in the running of the District Derby? If so, complain to the DE about the track. Find out if your Pack will volunteer its track and volunteers to run the District race.
MidTNWebelosdad
Apprentice
Apprentice

Good thoughts...thanks. Our Pack is also using the same Track, so the issue has gone mute really... meaning The Track owner has been the single source supplier for over 30 years. I don't know of any other Tracks owned or Rented by anyone in the District. I think THAT'S really the question I wanted answered by mailing a letter. Anyone else in Middle Tennessee using this Blue & Gold Track? You'll know by the owner's limp which track is at issue...
PWD_addict
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by PWD_addict »

MidTNWebelosdad wrote:Good thoughts...thanks. Our Pack is also using the same Track, so the issue has gone mute really... meaning The Track owner has been the single source supplier for over 30 years. I don't know of any other Tracks owned or Rented by anyone in the District. I think THAT'S really the question I wanted answered by mailing a letter. Anyone else in Middle Tennessee using this Blue & Gold Track? You'll know by the owner's limp which track is at issue...
You mean everyone in the District races on the exact same track? That's whacky! I can't believe that not one single Pack wants to own their own track. How much does "gimpy" charge? no offense to the man with the limp--I have one some days.
MidTNWebelosdad
Apprentice
Apprentice

It's been about $200 for the past five years. He also includes Trophies & Ribbons, has his own PA System, but no other "thrills" like Electronic Timing, Crowd Viewable scoring or anything like others here discuss.
But the worst thing (in addition to the track) is that he has always run Double Elimination which as you can imagine leaves many Scouts getting two runs and then they watch from the sidelines for the next hour wondering when/if they get to race again???.... Just so you know, our son's have qualified for the Districts every year but one in the last five years. So I'm not the dad who is disappointed about only two runs. But it kills me to see the others...all that work and they get two runs in 15 minutes, then sit down for the day.
PWD_addict
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by PWD_addict »

That's crazy. For about $1500, you can get one heck of a track with timers, software, the whole thing. Nice that gentleman will do it but I'd rather see more racing. Just because something has been done that way for a long time doesn't mean it's the best way to do it . . .

Good luck getting your Pack and District to enter this century. :cry:
MidTNWebelosdad
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks..... :idea: me thinks I see a Business Opportunity !!! :mrgreen: