Piantedosi Oars Track Review

Commercial tracks.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Piantedosi Oars Track Review

Post by gpraceman »

MaxV wrote:I have watched races run on a Piantedosi track. It certainly is a nice track from the wood surface perspective, but the starting gate needs to be redesigned. I witnessed a car 'launched into space' when the gate handle was twisted and then released quickly.
Our pack recently got a Piantedosi Oars track for our last race. It is very well built and probably the best wooden track availble. Like MaxV, what I don't like about it is the start gate design. The start gate is a board with the start pegs mounted to it and the board sticks out from under the track on both sides. A couple of rubberbands hold the gate closed and the start gate operator must twist the board quickly to release the cars.

The problem with this design is that it requires the start gate operator to drop the gate at the same speed each time and do so quickly. If they go too slow, the cars can actually start rolling before the gate has cleared the surface of the track. The cars that touch higher on the start peg will actually start moving ahead of those cars that touch lower on their start pegs. In our race I saw a lot of variation in the speed of the start gate operation, which I believe altered the results of a tight race. We had one occurrence where the start gate went down way too slow and one of the car's underbody got caught on the top of the start peg and jumped its lane. I mentioned the problem to the race coordinator, but we still ended up with inconsistency.

With some better training of the start gate operator, much of this issue can be prevented, but I believe a better design would be the best solution. A design that has a latch mechanism and is spring loaded to quickly open the gate with little effort on the part of the start gate operator would help ensure that the pegs move quickly out of the way before the cars can start rolling. As we used to say in the Navy, it needs to be sailor proofed.

One last note, and this is not a negative thing. It would be nice if they offered a prefinished track. With their expertise in the manufacturing of rowing oars, I'm sure they can probably do a better finish job than most organizations could. Of course, it is cheaper to get it unfinished and finish it yourself, so having an unfinished version is good.

I'd like to hear form other people on their impressions of this track as it may help others in their purchasing decision.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Da Graphite Kid
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Piantedosi Oars Track Review

Post by Da Graphite Kid »

We've raced for three years at District on a Piantedosi track. It is a very nicely built track that has fairly smooth transitions. This track is owned and operated by another Pack who takes very good care of it.

I too think that they should offer a finished track as there was a new additional section that was not used this last year. This was due to the fact that the gentleman who had finished the track three years before had moved away and no one in the Pack really knew enough to do so. I'm sure that there are many out there who would not feel qualified to finish a track for fear of messing it up and after all, Piantedosi does this everyday. Who better to do this than the experts?

I would definately replace the start gate. I knew to watch for the gateman to slow down due to fatigue over the day and he did. At one point they reran a heat as one car was derailed by an extremely slow start (I think that he brought the gate back up and it caught the car). There were cars that had high front ends to take advantage of this as well. We use a solenoid activated gate on our track now and there are no slow starts with this set up (I hope to duplicate it on a new track soon).

Another thing I wish Piantedosi would change is their stopping block. With the track being so smooth, the speed of the cars goes up. I would like to be able to measure the speed difference between cars run on our wooden track and this one but do not have the equipment to do so. All that have raced at District from our Pack agree that the cars are running quite a bit faster. The stop block is a piece of foam that is held in place by bolts running vertically through the outside lanes. This is the stopping mechanism that killed two of our cars some years back. After that, we have made sure that all of our cars had extra thick wood in the front end to absorb this impact. Most of the cars we saw raced this year really smacked this foam/bolt stopping mechanism and some flew off the track (eek! misalignment!), stuck under the foam block (hitting the bolts if they were in the outside lanes!) but most bounced back up the track. The additional section of track was to be installed after the finish line to help stop the cars without damage.

Overall, a very nice track that could have any shortcomings easily fixed.

Da Graphite Kid
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Da Graphite Kid wrote:Another thing I wish Piantedosi would change is their stopping block. With the track being so smooth, the speed of the cars goes up. I would like to be able to measure the speed difference between cars run on our wooden track and this one but do not have the equipment to do so. All that have raced at District from our Pack agree that the cars are running quite a bit faster. The stop block is a piece of foam that is held in place by bolts running vertically through the outside lanes. This is the stopping mechanism that killed two of our cars some years back. After that, we have made sure that all of our cars had extra thick wood in the front end to absorb this impact. Most of the cars we saw raced this year really smacked this foam/bolt stopping mechanism and some flew off the track (eek! misalignment!), stuck under the foam block (hitting the bolts if they were in the outside lanes!) but most bounced back up the track. The additional section of track was to be installed after the finish line to help stop the cars without damage.
I wish some track manufacturers, like Piantedosi, would come out with stopping blocks that you could buy as an accessory. I built some for the track that I had built for our Awana club, since we were having issues with cars crashing at the end with wheels and weights being knocked off. With the stopping blocks, the car pushes the block along the finish section slowing the car in a very short distance with minimal bounce back. Rarely now do we have a problem with cars getting damaged.

Here's a couple of photos of our blocks:

Image Image

I built these off of plans available on Michael Lastufka's Grand Prix Racing site (Hey Michael where are you :?: ) at http://www.worldforchrist.org/races/car ... topper.htm. These can be adapted for use on any track.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Da Graphite Kid
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Pineheads,
I just ordered a 48-foot aluminum 'Freedom' track from Piantedosi. After ordering the track and speaking to Gary at Piantedosi, I checked and their web site has new pictures. Some good shots of the new start gate and stop section. If I can wait the 3 - 4 weeks until the track arrives, I'll post how everything goes together and runs. Maybe even get some more detailed pics of the start gate and stop section - if I can figure out how to post them.

Da Graphite Kid
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Da Graphite Kid wrote:Pineheads,
I just ordered a 48-foot aluminum 'Freedom' track from Piantedosi. After ordering the track and speaking to Gary at Piantedosi, I checked and their web site has new pictures. Some good shots of the new start gate and stop section. If I can wait the 3 - 4 weeks until the track arrives, I'll post how everything goes together and runs. Maybe even get some more detailed pics of the start gate and stop section - if I can figure out how to post them.

Da Graphite Kid
I'm glad they posted some more pictures. I would, though, like to get a underside look of the start gate mechanism, so if you run into any problems trying to get some pictures posted on this forum, let me know.

Overall, the new track design looks very nice (wood and aluminum versions) and I'm very glad to see that they have changed the design of the start gate. Once you get your track together and do some testing, I'm sure we would all like to hear how well it works. I'm particularly interested in the start gate and stop sections.
Randy Lisano

KLenort
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by KLenort »

gpraceman wrote:One last note, and this is not a negative thing. It would be nice if they offered a prefinished track. With their expertise in the manufacturing of rowing oars, I'm sure they can probably do a better finish job than most organizations could. Of course, it is cheaper to get it unfinished and finish it yourself, so having an unfinished version is good.
I just got the go ahead from my committee to order a wood 4-lane.:mrgreen: What part of the finish didn't you like ? Lots of runs ? Color? Not sanded? What !!!!! I gotta know !!!!!!!!!!:shocked: :shocked: :eee: :huh:
Da Graphite Kid
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Klenort,
Unless something has changed, the wooden tracks from Piantedosi come unfinished. They have been sanded but not sealed. This is not a hard thing to do but will take one person quite a bit of time for a 40 foot track - so get several people together to help finish the track. You don't have to finish the wooden track but it will help it last longer. A disclaimer here: I do not own a wooden track and have only raced on a wooden Piantedosi as well as spoke to two owners of them. I do know that the home-built wooden track our Pack has (or had - its been mislocated :shock: ) did not fair well in storage even though it was sealed. It was stored in an open air warehouse here in the soggy South (it's not the heat, its the humidity!).

The Pack that owns the track that we had run District races on has still not finished the extra track sections they purchased over a year ago - for fear of messing them up. If this is a major concern for you, than I suggest that you somehow find the extra $100 and get their Freedom Aluminium track instead.

Da Graphite Kid
:mrgreen:
KLenort
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by KLenort »

Does Piantedosi recmd any specific finishes to use on their tracks? If so, what is the best procedure ?
Da Graphite Kid
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Klenort,
I believe that Gary Piantedosi would be best qualified to answer that. I would get on the Piantedosi web site and find his e-mail address and send the question to him (post the answer here for others though). Also, ask him when my track will ship!

Da (trackless) Graphite Kid
KLenort
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by KLenort »

gpraceman wrote:I wish some track manufacturers, like Piantedosi, would come out with stopping blocks that you could buy as an accessory. I built some for the track that I had built for our Awana club, since we were having issues with cars crashing at the end with wheels and weights being knocked off. With the stopping blocks, the car pushes the block along the finish section slowing the car in a very short distance with minimal bounce back. Rarely now do we have a problem with cars getting damaged.

Here's a couple of photos of our blocks:

Image Image
Do ya think a modified foam can cooler would work ? May be a cheap emergency solution.
KLenort
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by KLenort »

Da Graphite Kid wrote:Klenort,
I believe that Gary Piantedosi would be best qualified to answer that. I would get on the Piantedosi web site and find his e-mail address and send the question to him (post the answer here for others though). Also, ask him when my track will ship!
KLenort wrote:Does Piantedosi recmd any specific finishes to use on their tracks? If so, what is the best procedure ?
Gary directed me to this site: http://www.newparks.com/carverwater.html
and recmd'd 1-coat sanding sealer and 1-topcoat.

I called Carver Tripp and they recmd'd 1-coat sanding sealer followed by 3-finish coats sanding with 180-220grit sandpaper between coats. This product is also available at Home Depot under the "Pro Finisher Waterborne" name. Both the sealer and finish are water based.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Da Graphite Kid wrote:Klenort,

Da (trackless) Graphite Kid
So, have you gotten your track yet? I had a software customer of mine, whose race is Saturday, order a Piantedosi aluminum track early too and still have not received it. They broke out the super glue and bailing wire to patch their old track together for their race. That will probably not sit well with the leaders and parents in the pack after spending so much and ordering early.

Hmmm... did Piantedosi bite off more than they can chew or are they having material supply (or quality) problems? Got to wonder. They were also having problems getting ahold of Gary. :(
Randy Lisano

KLenort
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by KLenort »

gpraceman wrote:
So, have you gotten your track yet? I had a software customer of mine, whose race is Saturday, order a Piantedosi aluminum track early too and still have not received it. They broke out the super glue and bailing wire to patch their old track together for their race. That will probably not sit well with the leaders and parents in the pack after spending so much and ordering early.

Hmmm... did Piantedosi bite off more than they can chew or are they having material supply (or quality) problems? Got to wonder. They were also having problems getting ahold of Gary. :(
No, but I was gonna make *&^% sure I got my track/timer/software well before our derby so we had time to test it all and make sure it all worked and we all understood it. I've received the timer and software. Gary promised my track would ship by Feb 9th. It had better be here as we have already sold our old track to a neighboring pack. Kudo's on getting info from Gary ! He hasn't answered a single email from me, the only reponse I've gotten is by calling him directly.
Da Graphite Kid
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

To all,
We did finally receive our new track (48 foot aluminum 'Freedom' Piantedosi track) last Thursday. It was ordered on November 24. I am not happy about the delay but was glad we did finally get it. I believe the delay in delivery was due to Piantedosi not being able to turn the orders they received on a timely basis (like the 3 weeks I was originaly told) - every manufacturers dream come true and nightmare at the same time! This was coupled with many others not ordering their tracks before they needed them. Their lack of planning caused us much stress and additional troubles (more on this below).

Unfortunately, we spent 8 1/2 hours yesterday setting up the track, timer and software as we ran into many problems - some of which were track assembly related. I'll have to post details about this later. Let's just say that my co-chairman and I have many folks mad at us for having to take so long to do this; my wife who helped out and than had to work a 7:00 pm to 7:00 am shift, my co-chair's wife and kids as it was his birthday and they did not go out of town shopping as they had stated but had a surprise birthday party set up and waiting - along with guests for over five hours (ouch!), and the four Cubs and parents that I was supposed to help with their pwd cars yesterday.

My co-chair called and told me about the fizzled surprise party. I asked if he had been banished to his garage (he doesn't have a dog and therfore no dog house). He was (after the guests left) but that it was okay as he has a mocked up NASCAR simulator there that he races on-line with, so it turned out okay for him!

The good news is that we are cocked and now ready to run the pinewood derby race of a lifetime this Saturday!

Da Graphite Kid
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Da Graphite Kid wrote:To all,
We did finally receive our new track (48 foot aluminum 'Freedom' Piantedosi track) last Thursday. It was ordered on November 24. I am not happy about the delay but was glad we did finally get it. I believe the delay in delivery was due to Piantedosi not being able to turn the orders they received on a timely basis (like the 3 weeks I was originaly told) - every manufacturers dream come true and nightmare at the same time! This was coupled with many others not ordering their tracks before they needed them. Their lack of planning caused us much stress and additional troubles (more on this below).

Unfortunately, we spent 8 1/2 hours yesterday setting up the track, timer and software as we ran into many problems - some of which were track assembly related. I'll have to post details about this later.
Hopefully, your race went well. In the end, what do you think of the Piantedosi aluminum track and the assembly that was involved?
Randy Lisano