BestTrack Review

Commercial tracks.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

BestTrack Review

Post by gpraceman »

MaxV wrote:I have a 2-lane BestTrack aluminum track which I use for test purposes. It has a spring-loaded starting gate, such as the one described by GPRaceman. That in itself sold me on the track. But beyond that, the track is very consistent and the braking section is terrific.
I was not able to get a close look at this track, but I was able to watch a race where a new aluminum BestTrack was used. Overall it seems a nice and very fast track. The start gate released cleanly and quickly (spring loaded open). They did have some problems with some of the section transitions. They had to take a honing stone to dress up some of them since cars were jumping a bit when they hit them.

Maybe they got too short of a track (I believe it was 35 ft long), but they did have problems stopping some cars before they went off the end of the track. Their solution was to disconnect the stopping section and prop it up on the end so that the cars would travel slightly uphill. Having a longer track would probably be a better solution since with a smooth aluminum surface, the cars go faster and need longer to slow down (without crash stopping).

I'm not sure about assembly/disassembly since I only saw it together.

I'd like to hear form other people on their impressions of this track as it may help others in their purchasing decision.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
TCON
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: BestTrack Review

Post by TCON »

Any "hard surface", i.e. aluminum, plastic (including fiberglass),
formica laminate and acrylic (painted with hardener additive),
will have to be "stop controlled" when less than 40-50 ft.
I lean toward the raised ramp for 5 ft., on my tracks. Even
with this I use a urethane crash bumper for the rockets. I'm
going to try the slide arrestors on each of my test tracks,
after I refinish two of them.
They say the Best unit needs 50ft. They had a 6 laner at the
jamboree last year in SC. I don't even want to know the cost
of that baby.

Christ for Kids.........TCON
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

TCON wrote:Any "hard surface", i.e. aluminum, plastic (including fiberglass),
formica laminate and acrylic (painted with hardener additive),
will have to be "stop controlled" when less than 40-50 ft.
I lean toward the raised ramp for 5 ft., on my tracks. Even
with this I use a urethane crash bumper for the rockets. I'm
going to try the slide arrestors on each of my test tracks,
after I refinish two of them.
They say the Best unit needs 50ft. They had a 6 laner at the
jamboree last year in SC. I don't even want to know the cost
of that baby.

Christ for Kids.........TCON
A couple of years ago, I built the "Ballistic Stoppers" from plans on Michael Lastufka's Grand Prix Racing site for our club's track, which I built. They worked exceptionally well, especially since I made the stop section a bit too short. I would like to see some of the track manufacturers market something similar, especially BestTrack, since they sell aluminum tracks as short as 35 ft long (which I agree is too short). Having these stoppers would be a cheaper solution than adding the extra length for those organizations that can't really afford that option.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

gpraceman wrote:... since they sell aluminum tracks as short as 35 ft long (which I agree is too short).
The problem is that track geometry affects optimum car design.

Suppose that racers must qualify from unit races to a district/council race. Further suppose that the district/council races are run on tracks that few units can afford. What may very well happen is that the unit tracks may weed out all the cars that would perform well on the district/council track! Well, all the unit tracks except the one owned by the pack that supplies the district/council race track.

Adding length, adding starting line height, changing track profile, changing ramp shape, and changing track surface treatments all have performance implications.

Fairness dictates that district/council race organizers consider the units' avility to acquire a track with nearly identical performance implications. Unusual track designs really need to be avoided in the district/council event.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Stan Pope wrote:Fairness dictates that district/council race organizers consider the units' avility to acquire a track with nearly identical performance implications. Unusual track designs really need to be avoided in the district/council event.
Very good point. I wonder how many district/council races have taken this into consideration? I also wonder how many packs have factored into their track purchase/build decision what type of track is used at the disctrict/council race? I have a feeling that not many do, but then again I'm new to scouting, so I could be wrong. Some very good things to think about.
Randy Lisano

Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

gpraceman wrote:I wonder how many district/council races have taken this into consideration? I also wonder how many packs have factored into their track purchase/build decision what type of track is used at the disctrict/council race? I have a feeling that not many do, but then again I'm new to scouting, so I could be wrong. Some very good things to think about.
Participation in our district races is "won" at the pack races. Top 4 in each of the 5 age groups may race. (Actually, it is written in a way that allows the pack some latitude so that substitutions may be made if a top 4 racer can not make the races.)

Over the last half dozen years, I've seen a number of packs spending some of their popcorn sales earnings on Piantedosi tracks, usually the 3-lane variety. I think that this stems from appreciation for what they see at the district races, where the number of Piantedosi tracks has grown from 1 to "all 4."

But I doubt that they really think in terms of "this gives our boys the best chance in the district races." Rather, I suspect the rationalle is "this gives all of our boys the best chance at doing their best in the pack races."

I don't think that I'm a "Piantedosi bigot," but I do think that they deliver very high quality for an affordable price. This puts the track within reach of almost all of our units. And, those that are too small or too new to afford a P track can almost always piggy-back on another unit's race setup.

This makes for some really exciting racing at district!
Stan
Da Graphite Kid
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Da Graphite Kid »

Back to BestTrack here guys:

Besides gpraceman, has as anyone else heard of any misalignment issues with the BestTrack track sections? Randy, can you elaborate on this? I thought they they had a system that would make this very hard to happen (as long as you kept the alignment pins straight).

Right now I'm getting very close to buying either a 42 or 49 foot three lane BestTrack to be used by the local Packs and would like to hear of any concerns/issues with the BestTracks.

Da Graphite Kid
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

See my comments elsewhere about using track at pack races that has the same geometry as track at district races. Especially important if cars qualify from pack races.
Stan
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Da Graphite Kid wrote:Back to BestTrack here guys:

Besides gpraceman, has as anyone else heard of any misalignment issues with the BestTrack track sections? Randy, can you elaborate on this? I thought they they had a system that would make this very hard to happen (as long as you kept the alignment pins straight).

Right now I'm getting very close to buying either a 42 or 49 foot three lane BestTrack to be used by the local Packs and would like to hear of any concerns/issues with the BestTracks.

Da Graphite Kid
I wasn't able to get a real close look at the track since I was just a spectator at a race where a pack was using my software and had invited me to watch. As I was watching the race I did notice that cars were skipping at a couple of track joints and pointed it out to them.

When I attended their day 2 race, I asked them about the problem and they said they had used a sharpening stone to dress the problem joints. Looking at the track, I could see where they dressed it up, which was in several places.

Whether the track aligment pins were straight and the sections put together properly, I do not know, so I would also like to hear from others if they had this issue. It is a shame if you have to mar the surface of your new and not so cheap track if there is an alignment issue.
Randy Lisano

MaxV
Merchant
Merchant

Post by MaxV »

Regarding alignment on BestTrack, the pins do make it easy to align. It takes quite a bit of time and effort to get it put together the first time, but after that, it goes together quickly.
Da Graphite Kid
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Da Graphite Kid »

I contacted BestTrack and they basically said the same - that you have to take your time putting it together the first time and after that it goes together quicker/better. They mentioned that they had a problem with one of the shipping companies getting a little too rough with the tracks and have beefed up their packaging to counter this. Since they have had no mention of shipping related damage.

I would like to point out that every year I've seen the wooden track being put up at District that there was a certain amount of 'fine tuning' done with some sandpaper, so I don't know if there is that much difference between the wood and aluminum tracks in that respect. I imagine that once the aluminum tracks are assembled and everything smoothed out the first time that there should be no further 'fine tuning' - especially with BestTracks alignment system. I'll let you all know how it goes together if and when I can convince my (non-pinehead) wife to let me get one! :mrgreen:

Da Graphite Kid
ABoelow
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by ABoelow »

We just had a 49', 6 lane Best Track purchased for us by a local Auto Body shop ( AutoBody Technology ) he also threw in a Fast Track Timer by micro wizard. I don't remember right off the top of my head what the model is but its the one that shows places and not time. Then the pack purchased Grand Prix Race manager to rap up the deal.
We were all very excited and couldn't wait for the track and accessories to show up.
I am only about a month into owning the system, so I will only comment on what I know for sure, while holding other comments untill I know that I am not at fault for those problems.
Best Track.... Fantastic looking Track, absolutely beautifull.
We are definately having an issue with the guide rails alinging.
We took plenty of time for the inital set up. It's not a huge problem, but for the money you spend I would of hoped it would not be an issue at all. The boxes that it was shipped in were sturdy and protected the track well during shipment.
The only damage that I found on the Track seemed to have been made in manufacture.
I'm not sure how they cut them down the sections of the track into the seven foot sections but three of my corners seemed to cut at a odd angle almost like they sliped at the end of the cut. I could post a picture if anyone would tell me how...
We have another Pack out here in Portland that has a 3 year old best track, we were talking one night and they told me that the removed all the pins that help align the lanes and just use the clips supplied with the track to hold it together. I so far haven't had any real problems with the pins and must say that now after the 5th race of the season they actually seem to be getting easier to put together and work relatively well.
One of my largest disapointments with the track is the with the start gate. Functionaly it works well. But again for what was spent on the track I am a little disapointed in the fit and finish of the actuall product. The pins that hold the cars in the start gate are just screws that you put a nut on that holds them in place. I took care of this by getting some aluminum dowel and having it threaded and cut the oringinal bolt of and threaded it on. Again not a huge deal but for the cost.
The one true very poor item on the track is the stand. What a joke. It is sharp. it is a wider then the track with no way to break it down for storage. it's like absoulutely no though went into it at all.
Another project for another day.
All and all I am happy with the track but if I had to do it all again I would look a little closer at some of my other options.

The timer is a slick little unit that mounts and unmounts flawlessly although I think they gouge you alittle on the price of their quick mount system. $20.00 for about a foot of 3/4" aluminum square tubing. But hey we all want to make a living right. All in all the timer is a wonderfull thing.

The software is where I will have to get back to you. I have only been able to use it on five races now and have been getting mixed impressions.
But like I said I want to make sure its not opperator error before I make and statements on it.
Sorry for going so long. if anyone has any other questions feel free to e-mail me.
On my Honnor, I will do my best to do my duty to God and My Country......
Humvderby
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Humvderby »

ABoelow,

Sorry to hear of your small problems with the Best Track. I purchased a two lane 42 ft. Best Track in Dec. 03. with a Micro Wizard timer. I had a Beta Craft plating and plans for two years prior to this and never put it together. Felt it was going to be to complicated and time consuming. I researched other tracks during this period of time and decided on a Best Track. (do not like wood!) I had the Best Track together in about 3 1/2 hours the day I got it. (initial assembly and I must say easy to do) I have been running on it for about two months and it is flawless! The stopping section works great, the lanes are smooth, the connections are smooth just a great track. It will definitely be easy to take down and reassemble in the future because of the great design of the track. As far as the start gate rods (screws) I just slipped some shrink wrap (that you put on electrical wiring) over the screws and heated it up and viola they are now plastic coated.( I think they should do this before shipping or include the shrink wrap) I got this idea from Beta Craft instructions because that is what they recommend you do on their pins as well. (screws also). I found the stand to be of adequate size and works great. Obviously I love the track and feel it is the best available. I consider myself to be very particular and this track is flawless from the start gate to the stopping section. I had one section of track with a slight dent in it from shipping and after notifying Best Track had two new track sections within two days. Our pack has a 42 ft. 4 lane Best Track annodized blue and gold with Mico Wizard timer and it is beautiful! Ran pack races on it and they went flawlessly. Everyone there was impressed with the track. (First year they had it)
Dream Job--"Derby Car Analyst"--