Best Track question . . .

Commercial tracks.
Derby_Dad_2
Apprentice
Apprentice

Best Track question . . .

Post by Derby_Dad_2 »

I’m considering purchasing a 3-lane 35 foot Best Track and I’m wondering how much room I need for this. Does anybody know how long or what the footprint length is for one of these including the 40 inch stop section?

Thanks,

DD2
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Best Track question . . .

Post by Stan Pope »

I was not able to find the individual section length specification on their web site, http://www.besttrack.com/, but information there suggests that the length is 7'. Even the permanently curved section appears in its picture to be of 7' length. The dimensions of the carrier box plans are 90" (7' 6") and include interior corner posts which may shorten the capacity. Further, the options for track length are all multiples of 7 ft.

So, your base track length appears to be 35'. The stop section, listed as 40" (3'4") should be added. Plus you probably want to be able to walk around the ends of the track.

The Best track design and quality seem excellent and the tracks have a good reputation. It has a more demanding profile, since cars enter the curvature at a higher speed and the radius of curvature is much smaller than that of the track profile suggested in the Cub Scout Leader's HowTo book. Tracks built to the HowTo Book profile include Piantedosi (wood) and Freedom (aluminum). Generally, cars developed on a Best track will perform well on Piantedosi and Freedom, but may be at a small disadvantage when racing equally skilled racers who developed and tested on a track with the HowTo Book profile.

Before committing to Best, check around your area to see what type of track is used for your district and/or council races. If you are contemplating purchase for your own personal use in development, you probably want to develop in the same environment in which you would compete!

If your plans for competition are for other organizations, check with them for their conventions. Leagues seem to run profiles similar to Best, and the church-based programs would each have their own traditions as well.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
Derby_Dad_2
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Derby_Dad_2 »

Thanks Stan. I was looking more for the “footprint” or horizontal linier length from end to end to see if it will fit in my basement. The first 108” (or so) are sloped—for the start section flat and part of the curve section, and therefore does not take up a linier 108”. I too looked on Best Track’s website and didn’t find any specs on the linier length. Maybe someone here has this track and can post the measurement.

I am hoping to purchase this for the family for development if it will fit lengthwise in our basement. We might even consider a 4 lane track that could be expanded (lengthwise) later and possibly loaned to our local cub scouts and girl scouts for their events. On the cub scouts side I believe both the district and council tracks are made by Best Track.

Pic of the District track

Pic of the Council track

Mr. Slick
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Mr. Slick »

The 35' length INCLUDES the stop section. The curve PLUS the stop section add up to 7 feet.

7 foot slope, ~4ft curve, 3x7' sections, ~3ft stop section = 35'

add another 7' section for the 42' length.

If I remember, I'll get a tape out tomorrow at one of the races to measure the actual length. :thinking:
Mr. Slick says: Honey, I am doing this for the kids, not myself.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

That's great Mr.S! Why couldn't the track mfgrs give us such simple info?

The footprint of a 7' section sloped at 30 degrees is approx 6.1 ft.

The pics are tracks by Best or by someone awaiting a patent infringement lawsuit! The flat sloped section and the drop-off going into the stop section are key features that are obvious in the pics! :)
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
Mr. Slick
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Mr. Slick »

The bottom picture of the "Council Track" is one of my tracks at the Mall of America last spring. :thumbup:

The sections are made by BestTrack but has had several modifications to the assembly, support, and stop areas. The elevation/supports are braced and equidistant(42" between) the entire "flat" length of the track, not at the ends of each section. The stop is actually 2 of the regular stop sections to avoid the faster cars from hitting the end of the stop section. . . something we picked up in league racing. ;)

I'll really try to get the tape measure out this afternoon... The race this morning is running on the BetaCraft 6 lane 64 foot track. Easy to do that, each section is 93", even the curved track pieces. :bigups:
Derby_Dad_2
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Derby_Dad_2 »

Thanks again Mr. P. and Mr. S! Wow, so that was your track at the council Mr. S! My son and I were overwhelmed by the experience!!! Just how long was that track? 100ft?? Seemed like it! I sure hope we make it to council again this year, and hope we get to race on the same track.
Mr. Slick
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Mr. Slick »

Thank you. I did remember to get the tape measure out while the track was up. The curve is about 41" long o the racing surface. The length from the start to the bottom of the curve section was about 114" on the floor. I need to bring a plumb bob next time to get a better measurement! :scratching:
Derby_Dad_2
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Derby_Dad_2 »

Thanks Mr. S!