Track Length Preference

General track discussions.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Track Length Preference

Post by Stan Pope »

Da Graphite Kid wrote:...and one face-to-face to the District PWD Chairman and still no race data...
Did he give you a committment of any kind? If he did not, it is fair to ask him to and why not. If so, then you may have to ask him to make the committment more specific, e.g. to commit to a date. Now, I know that most volunteers are up to their eyebrows, because good volunteers tend to get on everyone's "please help me" list and end up chairing other events or running areas during other events, etc. (been there, done that!) But, he should be able to give you the info, or enable you to get it or give you a good reason why it is not forthcoming. But, watch out ... it may get you on his "good volunteer" list! :)
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
Da Graphite Kid
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Da Graphite Kid »

Stan,
Yes he did give me a commitment. As for being on his ‘volunteer list’, we have already spoken about me helping with next year’s District Pinewood Derby and about possibly running a Pinewood Derby for the Council. Unfortunately I have not been face-to-face with him since as Roundtable is on my Webelos Den Meeting night.

Da Graphite Kid
Cory
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Cory »

Da Graphite Kid wrote: Cory,

Here are the track regulations:
"III. TRACK
A. The racetrack used at the District PD shall be built to the dimensions specified in the latest copy of the Cub Scout Leader's How To Book (Cat. No. P3831A). The surface and guide rails of the track are to be made of wood. The wood surface may be unfinished or finished with paint, lacquer, varnish, polyurethane, etc. An aluminum track may be used as long as it meets the proper specifications outlined above.

B. The track must be equipped with an electronic finish order detector system, with two PD officials verifying each race heat.

C. The track must be adjusted to be level across its width over the entire length of the track.

D. Joints between sections of the track must be adjusted to provide a smooth transition by the car. "

Da Graphite Kid
Thanks.

FWIW, given that standardizing PWD tracks is about as easy as standardizing downhill ski courses, I think you're right on track with this (no pun intended).

Personally, I wouldn't be worried about the length issue, but as an organizer I do understand that what parents perceive to be true is often more important that what is true.

Inviting the boy (not the car), allowing mods (or a completely new car), and communicating track dimensions and characteristics to all contestants make for a good competition.

Keep at it!
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

gpraceman wrote:
darin_mcgrew wrote: I've also heard comments that aluminum (and similar) tracks need extra length to give time for the cars to be differentiated. With such smooth track surfaces, the cars tend to be bunched up more after only 28ft or so.
That is true. It can lead to closer races (not necessarily a bad thing), but will also lead to more ties that you have to deal with.
Another thing maybe to consider. A shorter track is highly likely to reduce the number of cars that do not finish at all.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.