Big mistake??

Commercial tracks.
Packdude
Journeyman
Journeyman

Re: Big mistake??

Post by Packdude »

gpraceman wrote: The one thing that I think both of these aluminum track manufacturers need to work on is the dressing of the edges where the track sections join.
Gary didn't mention that they had fixed this as well. The new Freedom track sections are beveled on the down track side of the joint. As for the stop section, when we tested it, at 32', the cars went to within an inch or so of the end of the stop section. When we used all 48' of our track, the cars went a little over one cars length onto the stop section! BTW, our track did come with the redesigned stop section, which I like very much.
As for the choice of tracks, I don't know anyone that currently uses the plastic Supertrack, but I personally didn't care for it when I was researching tracks. Living in Florida, I had no desire to have another wooden track, which left me with the choice of either a Besttrack or Freedom track from Piantedosi. I was very close to buying the Besttrack, but at the last moment switched to the anodized Freedom track. A couple of things swayed me, the curve and the thickness.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Packdude wrote:
gpraceman wrote: The one thing that I think both of these aluminum track manufacturers need to work on is the dressing of the edges where the track sections join.
Gary didn't mention that they had fixed this as well.
It does look like they have addressed that issue. We received our anodized Freedom track last month and I didn't find any sharp edges or burrs.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
asatxj
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by asatxj »

Packdude--

I have a Supertrack. It's very fast and rewards a well built car, but doesn't reward a mediocre car at all. I've used it 3 years and been "improving" it every year. I will be exercising their claim "if you arent' getting your money's worth return it" in a month or so, returning it and getting a Freedom. It will make the car building easier for my club and the folks will actually want to use it at regionals. Right now they refuse because it's the only edge guided track in the state and "we've never done it that way before". Since it's to be an asset for the awana missionary I need to have something people are willing to run on.
Awana Commander
Jeep Fleet Maintenance Director
Dad
Bowhunter
I can't break the rules, I write them
!
BigDozer66
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by BigDozer66 »

Newbie here so don't throw anything at me. :D

We had our Pack races on a homemade wooden 2 lane track that was in the 30' range. We had the "eye ballers" calling the races at the finish line. :lol:
We were told thast this would be the same track that would be used at our District race. My son's car was pretty fast on it but there were several other Cub Scouts that had cars that were almost as fast as it was.
We had about 30 cars there that day he my son ended up winning 1st after a few run off heats. Needless to say he was very excited. :D
I was a little concerned because at the District race I knew there would only be competitive cars and for his sake I wasn't sure how his would do. :?:
We had discussed it and he knew that we built the car together, we had a great time doing it and that was the important part whether he won or finished somewhere else.

When we arrived at the District race there was no track set up but there was a long wooden box there. We volunteered to help set up the track and get everything ready. When he opened the box and we started removing the aluminum track I thought this isn't old woody! :wink:
We proceeded to assemble the 48' 3 lane Piantedosi complete with the new stop and electronic timer. :shock:
I don't think you could ask for a better designed or better constructed track.

Cars do perform differently on an aluminum track and my son was thrilled to end up taking home the 1st place trophy. :mrgreen:
The young man who finished 3rd at our pack got 2nd place and the 2nd place young man at our pack ended up 4th.

We learned a few things along the way and it is my plan to have a constuction day to help other Cubs that do not have parental help or just needs a few pointers.

BigDozer66
"one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Cubmaster and AWANA Game Director