Software with internal timer???

Discussions on race preparation, race management, sound effects, and other race related software. This is only for software provided by our sponsor, GrandPrix Software Central.
bugnut
Apprentice
Apprentice

Software with internal timer???

Post by bugnut »

I would like to know if anybody makes a software program that records times and places the wining car. I want the computer to interface with the lights on the track and want the times sent to the computer not on a hand held next to the lights. Also is there race timers that can be added onto the existing finish line that we already have.

What we would like to do is keep the finishing numbers so the kids can see who won and would like the times sent to the cpu . Is this possible?

Thanks for the help Brian
Buckeye
Pine Head
Pine Head

Re: Software with internal timer???

Post by Buckeye »

I believe you will need an external timer to interface with the software to accomplish what you are asking for. You have to have some type of hardware to send the info to the computer for the software to interpret it. We use Grandprix Race Manager and it interfaces with several of the timers available. Fasttrack offers a timer that displays finish order and/ or times.
How would the software know what was happening without some hardware device interfacing with the track?
Tomcat14
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Tomcat14 »

We use a Newbold DTX8000 timer for the interface and Derby Master for the software. Overall it works really well. :idea:
With Christ we are all Winners!!
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

bugnut wrote:I would like to know if anybody makes a software program that records times and places the wining car. I want the computer to interface with the lights on the track and want the times sent to the computer not on a hand held next to the lights. Also is there race timers that can be added onto the existing finish line that we already have.

What we would like to do is keep the finishing numbers so the kids can see who won and would like the times sent to the cpu . Is this possible?

Thanks for the help Brian
There are timing systems and software that will do as you need. Being a software guy myself, I would actually recommend that you find a software package that you like and then see what timing systems it will support. Each software package has things that it will do and will not do, so you need to find the one that is the best fit for the way you want to run your race. A good place to start, besides the Software Forum on this site, is at http://grandprix-race-central.com/modul ... age&pid=19 where several software packages are listed.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
bugnut
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by bugnut »

ok I know I need the hardware. That's the computer part of the timing. I just need that part to interface with the labtop computer software so I could see what the times are. Right now I am downloading the grand prix demo. Most of the timer systems I have been seeing are that are based on the track. I would just like the times sent the the computer. But still have the numbers for the spectators. Also looking for a timing system that goes down to the .0001 sec.

Now should I try and build this type of timer system that would send all the info to the computer or is this type of timer out there and I just haven't found it yet. I guess this question is better suited in the electronics forum. But the electronics and softway go hand in hand. well I'll see where it goes from here.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

bugnut wrote:Most of the timer systems I have been seeing are that are based on the track.
I am not quite sure I follow you on this. Many do require you to mount sensors under your track, if that is what you mean.
bugnut wrote:I would just like the times sent the the computer. But still have the numbers for the spectators. Also looking for a timing system that goes down to the .0001 sec.
If you want the timer to have a numeric display of the finish order, and to work with GrandPrix Race Manager, then these would work:
  • Fast Track K2 timer - Timing resolution is only 0.001 seconds, but I would not let that stop you. It is a very good timer and MicroWizard provides top notch support. Timing to only 0.001 seconds may help limit the affects of "noise" factors unrelated to car performance (start gate operation, minor bumps to the track, etc.).
  • Daytona timer - A new model released this year by NewBold products.
  • DerbyTimer.com - DITY timers. They sell the parts and will even do the circuit board assembly, if you want.
  • SmartLine timer - Note, this timer is not specifically supported by the GrandPrix Race Manager software manufacturer (me), though the timer manufacturer claims they are compatible. They basically mimic the NewBold DTX000 timer interface, which is supported by the software.
There may be others out there, but these are the ones that I know of with a numeric display of the finish order. Any others will likely not be compatible with the GrandPrix Race Manager software (except by manually entering the results).

With any other race management software, you would need to consult their website to check compatilbility with the above timers.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
bugnut
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by bugnut »

OK I downloaded the grand prix software and I really like there setup. What I am trying to get at with the hardway portion is I would like have the track with starting electric start gate then pass through lane sensors that will start the race and at the end pass throught the finish line sensors with a lane placement above each lane. Then have the info sent to the computer with the actual times of the race and thats where grand prix takes over.

With these commerical units can they be modified with another set of sensor's at the starting line so that each car will have it's own time. Not one that is set by the first car leaving the start gate the fastes. Does that make sence? Thanks for all the help so far.

Brian
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

bugnut wrote:OK I downloaded the grand prix software and I really like there setup. What I am trying to get at with the hardway portion is I would like have the track with starting electric start gate then pass through lane sensors that will start the race and at the end pass throught the finish line sensors with a lane placement above each lane. Then have the info sent to the computer with the actual times of the race and thats where grand prix takes over.

With these commerical units can they be modified with another set of sensor's at the starting line so that each car will have it's own time. Not one that is set by the first car leaving the start gate the fastes. Does that make sence? Thanks for all the help so far.
All of the timers that I listed can use a switch that you mount to the start gate, so once the start gate opens the clock starts for all cars. This makes it the opening of the gate be the start of the clock as opposed to the first car to break a beam.

The Fast Track timers do have an optional laser start gate, but I would only recommend using it if you can mount it in such a way as to have the start pins break the beam instead of the first car to hit it. If you cannot mount it in this way, then MicroWizard can provide a regular start switch.

I do not know of a timer that uses a sensor in each lane to detect the start of each lane. It would be rather more complex for the timer to manage a timing loop per lane than to use a single timing loop. The timer then just has to watch for each car to break its finish line sensor to determine its time.
Randy Lisano

bugnut
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by bugnut »

I guess it would be more complex also it couldn't determin who was fist and so on. It would just have times. After viewing the smart line timer it looks like that is the one that I want. It has the viewing numbers and also sends times to the computer. I will look more into it. Thanks Randy for the great links.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

bugnut wrote:I guess it would be more complex also it couldn't determin who was fist and so on. It would just have times. After viewing the smart line timer it looks like that is the one that I want. It has the viewing numbers and also sends times to the computer. I will look more into it. Thanks Randy for the great links.
As I indicated earlier, this timer is not supported by the GrandPrix Race Manager manufacturer (namely me), so if you run into any communication problems you would need to contact the SmartLine folks for support. I am not saying that they will not work together, I just do not currently provide support for their timer since I have not personally tested it with GPRM.
Randy Lisano

Buckeye
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Buckeye »

bugnut wrote:I guess it would be more complex also it couldn't determin who was fist and so on. It would just have times. After viewing the smart line timer it looks like that is the one that I want. It has the viewing numbers and also sends times to the computer. I will look more into it. Thanks Randy for the great links.
Both the Fastrack and the Newbold Daytona do those things also and they both work with Grandprix Racemanager. The Newbold timer calculates the time to the .0000 vs. the Fastrack .000. The Newbold also displays the time and finish with or without a computer and has a TV interface which displays the time and finish order on a TV screen.
Tomcat14
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Tomcat14 »

All timers are only as accurate as you drill the holes for the sensors. We have the Newbold and have had races decided by .0001, but each time I see one that close, I wonder just how accurate the holes I drilled were. Just something to ponder.
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

Tomcat14 wrote:All timers are only as accurate as you drill the holes for the sensors. We have the Newbold and have had races decided by .0001, but each time I see one that close, I wonder just how accurate the holes I drilled were.
I have read that .001 of a second equals .14 inches on the track, so .0001 of a second would require .014 (approx 1/64") acuraccy.

We time to .001. We had a tie between 2 Welbos to go to the District race. The kid with the fastest time got to go.
Tomcat14
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Tomcat14 »

That's a loarger tolerance than I thought, but still easy to be off a little bit.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Pinewood Daddy wrote:
Tomcat14 wrote:All timers are only as accurate as you drill the holes for the sensors. We have the Newbold and have had races decided by .0001, but each time I see one that close, I wonder just how accurate the holes I drilled were.
I have read that .001 of a second equals .14 inches on the track, so .0001 of a second would require .014 (approx 1/64") acuraccy.

We time to .001. We had a tie between 2 Welbos to go to the District race. The kid with the fastest time got to go.
0.001 seconds is closer to about 1/8", but that really depends on the speed of the cars at the finish line. The slower the speed at the finish line, then this distance decreases and making sensor position more critical.
Randy Lisano