Certificate Overlays

Discussions on race preparation, race management, sound effects, and other race related software. This is only for software provided by our sponsor, GrandPrix Software Central.
benebrady
Apprentice
Apprentice

Certificate Overlays

Post by benebrady »

Grand Prix Race Manager is a great product but the certificates for awards are just a bit too plain. I've created a couple of 'overlays' that can be printed over the top of the printed certificates from GPRM to 'dress' them up a bit.

I've posted them to my web site at http://www.clariondeveloper.com/awana Feel free to download them and add them to your Awana Grand Prix collection of tools. You will need Microsoft Publisher to open and modify them for use.
--
Ben E. Brady
"It's not what you look at that matters... It's what you see." - Henry David Thoreau
(and in the case of Awana Grand Prix, it's the photodetector that is the final judge...)
First Baptist Church of Dinuba, CA
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Certificate Overlays

Post by gpraceman »

I haven't worked with MS Publisher, but if you can convert your overlay to a JPG file format, you can then replace the certificate background image that comes with GrandPrix Race Manager. You would need to replace the existing certificate.jpg file, located in the images directory, with your new one. This way you only have to print once per certificate and you can preview in GPRM what it will look like before printing.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
benebrady
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by benebrady »

Thanks for the heads up Randy. It's great to know one can customize the certificates.
--
Ben E. Brady
"It's not what you look at that matters... It's what you see." - Henry David Thoreau
(and in the case of Awana Grand Prix, it's the photodetector that is the final judge...)
benebrady
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by benebrady »

gpraceman wrote:I haven't worked with MS Publisher, but if you can convert your overlay to a JPG file format, you can then replace the certificate background image that comes with GrandPrix Race Manager. You would need to replace the existing certificate.jpg file, located in the images directory, with your new one. This way you only have to print once per certificate and you can preview in GPRM what it will look like before printing.
I've updated the certificate overlay files on my web site.
I would like to make a suggestion for GPRM, how about providing the ability to specify a certificate template for design awards and a separate template for speed awards. That way people could have 2 different types of certificates.

Yes, I know it will make it a little bit more complex for you in terms of priinting the reports, but it will serve to make the already excellent software, that much better.

Also, as an enhancement, when registering new entrants I found it quite tedious to have to hit ALT-A 3 times to cycle around to the ADD button (instead of using the mouse to click the button) It would be nice if you only had one ALT-A accelerator key on the registration entry screen so all we'd have to do is press ALT-A once and then hit ENTER to open the new blank record. Then we could press ALT-S to save after entering the record and then press ALT-A and ENTER to enter the next record without having to fiddle with the mouse or do more keystrokes than are necessary. As a software developer for more than 30 years, I've done more than my share of user interface designs so I hope you won't take offense at my suggestion! I just want to see the product become even better, just as if it were my own.
--
Ben E. Brady
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

benebrady wrote:I would like to make a suggestion for GPRM, how about providing the ability to specify a certificate template for design awards and a separate template for speed awards. That way people could have 2 different types of certificates.
That is a good suggestion. I will add it to the list of possible improvements for the next version.
benebrady wrote:Also, as an enhancement, when registering new entrants I found it quite tedious to have to hit ALT-A 3 times to cycle around to the ADD button (instead of using the mouse to click the button) It would be nice if you only had one ALT-A accelerator key on the registration entry screen so all we'd have to do is press ALT-A once and then hit ENTER to open the new blank record. Then we could press ALT-S to save after entering the record and then press ALT-A and ENTER to enter the next record without having to fiddle with the mouse or do more keystrokes than are necessary.
Maybe you are using an older version of GPRM. With Version 5.0 there is only one Alt-A hotkey on the main screen, which is on the Registration tab. There used to be two others (Group and Subgroup entry on the Setup tab) but I felt that having hot keys for those was not nearly as convenient as for registerring racers.
benebrady wrote:As a software developer for more than 30 years, I've done more than my share of user interface designs so I hope you won't take offense at my suggestion! I just want to see the product become even better, just as if it were my own.
No offense taken at all. I appreciate user suggestions greatly and whenever reasonable to do so, I implement them. GPRM keeps getting better due to numerous users that have provided feedback over the years.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
benebrady
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by benebrady »

Yes, you are correct. I did the registrations using GPRM 4.0 and upgraded after all of the registrations were entered.

Thanks for the enhancement! It will come in handy next year!
--
Ben E. Brady
benebrady
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by benebrady »

No offense taken at all. I appreciate user suggestions greatly and whenever reasonable to do so, I implement them. GPRM keeps getting better due to numerous users that have provided feedback over the years.
Ok.. how about another 'enhancement'. On the individual car reports, could you put the MPH/KPH stats? This would make it a bit easier to put together an 'engineering award' report.

I have an Excel spreadsheet that I've put together that analyzes the most consistent performing cars based upon the standard deviation of times, the lower the deviation, the more consistent the car. If you could incorporate this report into GPRM it would be great. I've tried to send the spreadsheet to you but I get an error stating your email box is beyond it's quota. I've found as a result of my analysis that it's not always the case that the fastest car (or the 1st place grand finalist) isn't the most consistently performing car.

Thanks again for some really great software!
--
Ben E. Brady
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

benebrady wrote:Ok.. how about another 'enhancement'. On the individual car reports, could you put the MPH/KPH stats? This would make it a bit easier to put together an 'engineering award' report.
Easy enough. I'll get that added to the next update.
benebrady wrote:I have an Excel spreadsheet that I've put together that analyzes the most consistent performing cars based upon the standard deviation of times, the lower the deviation, the more consistent the car. If you could incorporate this report into GPRM it would be great.
The stats (avg, min, max, and std dev) for each racer do show up on the Group Stats report. Though, I'll consider adding those summaries to the Individual Racer Stats report for the next version of GPRM.
benebrady wrote:I've tried to send the spreadsheet to you but I get an error stating your email box is beyond it's quota.

That is strange. Maybe you can zip it up before you send it.
benebrady wrote:I've found as a result of my analysis that it's not always the case that the fastest car (or the 1st place grand finalist) isn't the most consistently performing car.
That could easily be true. Some of the "fastest" cars times may improve greatly as their lubrication breaks in. Others performance may degrade over the course of the race. Of course, being fast and consistent is the goal to shoot for.
Randy Lisano

benebrady
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by benebrady »

Any email I've tried to send to you has bounced back... :-(
--
Ben E. Brady