Speed Calculation in MS Excel

Discussions on race preparation, race management, sound effects, and other race related software. This is only for software provided by our sponsor, GrandPrix Software Central.
benebrady
Apprentice
Apprentice

Speed Calculation in MS Excel

Post by benebrady »

Hi Everyone.

I'm trying to put together a report that is not contained in GPRM 5.0 and I would like to know what the formula is to calculate MPH in Excel based upon the scale of the Awana Grand Prix where the track length is 28 feet from the starting gate pegs to the timing sensors at the finish.

I know the calculation can't be that hard but I'm not a math wizard.
Thanks in advance!
--
Ben E. Brady
"It's not what you look at that matters... It's what you see." - Henry David Thoreau
(and in the case of Awana Grand Prix, it's the photodetector that is the final judge...)
First Baptist Church of Dinuba, CA
benebrady
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Speed Calculation in MS Excel

Post by benebrady »

Ok.. I figured it out...

((LENGTH / 5280) * 3600) * SCALE / ELAPSEDTIME

Where LENGTH = track length from starting gate to finish
Where SCALE = 25
Where 3600 = number of seconds in an hour
Where 5280 = number of feet in a mile
Where ELAPSEDTIME = number of seconds for heat / car

I just thought I'd post the answer here in case anyone else wanted to know what it was.
--
Ben E. Brady
"It's not what you look at that matters... It's what you see." - Henry David Thoreau
(and in the case of Awana Grand Prix, it's the photodetector that is the final judge...)
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

Pardon my ignorance, but where did you get the scale = 25 from?? It makes sense, but I'm curious.

Our district race shows the speed in MPH. I'd rather see the time. We missed 3rd by 0.1MPH! First was only 1MPH faster. I'll do the math and figue out the time.
benebrady
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by benebrady »

The SCALE is 1:25 for pinewood cars. Thats where I got the scale from.
--
Ben E. Brady
benebrady
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by benebrady »

Pinewood Daddy wrote:...Our district race shows the speed in MPH. I'd rather see the time. We missed 3rd by 0.1MPH! First was only 1MPH faster. I'll do the math and figue out the time.
This is the best reason to get a timer that displays in times and calculates the MPH or one that shows both. We had races on sunday that were decided by .001 seconds. At this scale, even photo finish devices would be hard pressed to actually capture the image. There's only one that I know of and it uses real time video and captures a frame of video (30 frames a second) which simply doesn't have near enough time resolution to capture 1/1000th of a second.
--
Ben E. Brady