GPRM and the District Derby

Discussions on race preparation, race management, sound effects, and other race related software. This is only for software provided by our sponsor, GrandPrix Software Central.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: GPRM and the District Derby

Post by gpraceman »

1hr/week wrote:If the "Standings" menu would allow <Group> to be set to "all" while the <Sub-Group> is able to select something other than "all" (like Lions, Tigers and Bears.. Oh mY!). I could set it up with <Group> as the race times and <Sub-Group> as the rank. Then everyone in a <Group> of packs could race in the same "Heat" with times recorded. At the end of the day, I would be able to break out the standings by selecting All <Group> and Tiger (or Cub or Webelo) <Sub-Group> and the top five ET's would be the winners in that catagory. Selecting <Sub-Group> All then would give me the overall winners of the day.
You can view the standings by a subgroup for any one particular group. If you try to use your ranks as the subgroups then you will have subgroups that are really spread across different race groups. The software will not collate subgroup standings across different groups.

Time to get out that hammer and try to bash away at creating a custom report.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Cory
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Cory »

Randy, I'm thinking you could let the Groups be the Time Slots, and Subgroups be the Ranks.

Then export all results to CSV files, and manually aggregate by SubGroup (i.e. Rank) and sort the results in Excel.

If you preconcatenate Pack #s to the racer names (e.g. "Pack 146 - Randy Lisano, Jr."), that would also allow sorting and aggregation by Pack for the Pack level reports.

Or you could let the Subgroups be the Packs, and preconcatenate the Ranks to the racer names.

Basically, we're trying to slice things three ways here (Time Slot, Pack, and Rank) and GPRM provides two slices -- normally sufficient, but not here.
1hr/week
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by 1hr/week »

Cory,
I like your hammer. That is the direction I'm heading. If only there was a way to export the "Standings" it would save a lot of time compiling average times for the top five in each catagory. Tell me more about Custom reports...
It's only,

1hr/week
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Cory wrote:Randy, I'm thinking you could let the Groups be the Time Slots, and Subgroups be the Ranks.

Then export all results to CSV files, and manually aggregate by SubGroup (i.e. Rank) and sort the results in Excel.
Yes. He could do it that way as long as no one objects to Tigers racing Webelos.
Cory wrote:If you preconcatenate Pack #s to the racer names (e.g. "Pack 146 - Randy Lisano, Jr."), that would also allow sorting and aggregation by Pack for the Pack level reports.

Or you could let the Subgroups be the Packs, and preconcatenate the Ranks to the racer names.
It would be easier to use the "Car Name" field in those scenarios. It is unlikely that field would be used in a district race.
Cory wrote:Basically, we're trying to slice things three ways here (Time Slot, Pack, and Rank) and GPRM provides two slices -- normally sufficient, but not here.
That is a very good assessment. I had never anticipated the need for a 3 level structure organizational structure, but in the vast majority of the cases a 2 level structure suits just fine.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Cory
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Cory »

gpraceman wrote:Yes. He could do it that way as long as no one objects to Tigers racing Webelos.
I wouldn't object! :)

It creates more interesting dynamics when you have kids of different attributes (e.g. age, sex, whatever). That's one of the fun things about open competitions.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

1hr/week wrote:If only there was a way to export the "Standings" it would save a lot of time compiling average times for the top five in each catagory.
I'll let you try out the CSV file export from the reports, if you like. This is a new feature that is in Version 6 which will be released in the fall. It is actually in V5 but disabled until V6 rolls out.

Then you would be able to export the standings to CSV file and use Excel to sort them.

For next year, you should strongly recommend that they schedule the race timeslots by rank. It is not just easier to manage, but overall better for the racers.
Randy Lisano

1hr/week
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by 1hr/week »

I agree, the more the merrier! I'm using the "Car Name" field to designate the District and Pack Numbers... Our race includes two districts so the field is either CMxxxx or ATxxxx so later I can report on Catoctin Mountain District packs or Appalachian Trail District packs.

It would appear that in order for me to customize a report, I'll have to wait for my upgrade to 5.0. My software only allows me to change the titles... If I could get a report that lists the group results (averaged ET's) then I can manually fudge it from there.
It's only,

1hr/week
1hr/week
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by 1hr/week »

Thanks Randy, I'd be more than happy to "beta" test any improvements to this software. When we decided to purchase an upgraded Derby system last year the timer hardware was difficult to decide on but the software was an easy choice for us. Because it IS so versatile.
It's only,

1hr/week
Cory
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Cory »

1hr/week wrote:...I can report on Catoctin Mountain District packs or Appalachian Trail District packs.
Sounds like Woodsboro is in western Maryland! Was wondering how far apart we are.
1hr/week
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by 1hr/week »

Not really Western Maryland, those folks are the next county over. We are up in Frederick County, the northern end of the National Capitol Area Council.
It's only,

1hr/week
1hr/week
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by 1hr/week »

Randy,
I've installed Version 5 with the CSV upgrade. I still don't see an option to create a custom report. Is that something I'd have to do outside of GPRM? If so, is it possible to do a "Raw Data Export" of the Standings? Or when I use the "standings by sub-group" pull down report will that show only one group at a time or all groups? I don't have any race data to try it out "real time". Either way, as long as I can get the AVG ET results to a spreadsheet, I can manhandle the data for the awards.

I think we have this about licked. The only question now is how much manipulation of the data is needed to finalize the results.[/quote]
It's only,

1hr/week
Buckeye
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Buckeye »

I am running the District race. We have a potential of 550+ racers and I am expecting 300. We are racing by rank with the Webs combined on a 8 lane track. Each racer runs once in each lane. The top 8 cars, based on time, from the ranks will race in a Grand finals at the end of the day.

Should I use the rank as the group and the Pack as the subgroup? If I understand correctly I can use the results and all button to determine the top 8 cars after the ranks have finished. Do I need to create a new roster to advance the racers to a grand finals?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Buckeye wrote:Should I use the rank as the group and the Pack as the subgroup?
Since you are racing by rank, then the ranks will be your groups. You can make the subgroups be the packs, if you wish.
Buckeye wrote:If I understand correctly I can use the results and all button to determine the top 8 cars after the ranks have finished. Do I need to create a new roster to advance the racers to a grand finals?
Is it the top 8 regardless of rank or is this the top 2 from each rank? Either way, you do not need to create a new roster.

If you want the top 2 from each rank, then when you click on the New Round button, enter 2 for the number of finalists and then click on the Start Grand Finals button. This will automatically advance those racers to a new group called "Grand Finals". From there you can create the schedule and run the heats.

If you want the top 8 overall, then you can view the overall standings (select "All" for the group) and note the top 8 racers. Then go to the Registration tab, select each of these racers and flag them as a Grand Finalist. Then you can click on the New Round button, ignore the number of finalists box, then click on Start Grand Finals. The software will use your selections and put them in the Grand Finals group.

In the next version of the software you will be able to specify if you want the top N racers from each group or from overall.
Randy Lisano

Buckeye
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Buckeye »

Thanks, it is the top 8 racers overall, not by rank.