PWD car design software

Discussions on race preparation, race management, sound effects, and other race related software. This is only for software provided by our sponsor, GrandPrix Software Central.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

PWD car design software

Post by sporty »

I saw out there on the net at one of the common PWD sellers.

A software program , where you put in the size, demension and weight of the car.

It shows and helps you get a idea of how fast the car will be before you actually start making it.

I was curious, if others have used this and what they thought.

Is it realistic ? work well ?

Sporty
Teeeman
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: PWD car design software

Post by Teeeman »

Michael Lastufka's sim works nicely, but it is not "intuitive" at first.

We have runs approaching 200+ "virtual" cars to test sensitivity to specific design variables as well.

It is slick... the lack of a GUI is tough for guys who don't know how to write .bat files or use DOS windows though...

maybe someone with more programming skills could someday pick it up and write a GUI for it with Michael's permission.

-Terry
"I dunno..." - Uncle Eddie, Christmas Vacation
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Do you have a link to that site ?

I would like to take a look.

Sporty
Teeeman
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Teeeman »

... check your home e-mail...

-Terry
Teeeman
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Teeeman »

... something to point out...

Michael's software is a neat analysis tool.

I may have misunderstood that the other software mentioned is for designing the car... ?

Kinda the same goal but a differing approach... if the design software has "recommendations" or "guidelines" or a "wizard" it might restrict creativity to some degree...

it would be cool to use the design software outputs and test them in Michael's sim.
And then test other "optimized" ideas other folks have (I bet Stan knows a few different recipes depending on what your capabilities and goals are).

I have some hair brained ideas of my own but we proved last year the guys with years of experience still know a lot more than we do ;)

-Terry
Kurt Wylde
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Kurt Wylde »

I am also searching for M Lastufka's software; can't find a current site with his articles or apps.

Thanks.
Spawn
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Spawn »

Please include me on this list! I would appreciate the link to the site to be able to get this simulation software. Also, I'd be interested in finding out more information about this other software that was originally asked about. Can someone point me in the right direction for it?

I'm trying to get a good jump on car designing, as my son is still only in Beavers, and has another year to go before he gets into Cubs and we get to design and build.
Spawn
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Spawn »

I've come across something called Pine-Design Software that looks like this:
It looks like it might be something useful, however I'm not sure that this is exactly what sporty was looking for or talking about.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Spawn wrote:It looks like it might be something useful, however I'm not sure that this is exactly what sporty was looking for or talking about.
That probably is the one he was referring to.

Others are referring to the RaceIt race simulation software on Michael's website at http://www.lastufka.net/lab/cars/. Unfortunately, the site is often down due to exceeding its bandwidth.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Spawn
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Spawn »

Thanks Randy!

By any chance, does anyone know anywhere else where you could get a copy of Michael Lastufka's RaceIt software besides off of his site?
Mr. Slick
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Mr. Slick »

I've asked to provide a "static mirror" of his site via PwdRacing.com but haven't gotten a straight yes or no. Maybe he'll let me post just the software part. . . .

Try again on the 1st or 2nd of the month.
Mr. Slick says: Honey, I am doing this for the kids, not myself.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Mr. Slick wrote:I've asked to provide a "static mirror" of his site via PwdRacing.com but haven't gotten a straight yes or no. Maybe he'll let me post just the software part. . . .
He's had several offers to host his content. He's been pretty busy, though. Last I knew he was out of the country.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.