GPRM compatibility with Vista

Discussions on race preparation, race management, sound effects, and other race related software. This is only for software provided by our sponsor, GrandPrix Software Central.
RMoose
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

GPRM compatibility with Vista

Post by RMoose »

Looks like we may be getting a new laptop to use for our race this year. However, it will probably come with Vista preloaded rather than WinXP like our old one. Will GPRM v5 run OK with this new OS? Has anyone tried running GPRM with Vista yet?
We are Ambassadors for Christ
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: GPRM compatibility with Vista

Post by gpraceman »

Vista is not currently supported, since I have not had a chance to test GPRM against it. That will happen in the off season. I hesitate to convert over one of my machines just yet, because of the big security holes that are already being reported for Vista.

You would think that Microsoft would make Vista backwards compatible, but that is not always the case. You can always give it a spin and see what happens.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Husker
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Husker »

RMoose wrote:Looks like we may be getting a new laptop to use for our race this year. However, it will probably come with Vista preloaded rather than WinXP like our old one. Will GPRM v5 run OK with this new OS? Has anyone tried running GPRM with Vista yet?
I would think that it should work fine but...

You may need to install it as administrator. Vista doesn't allow a regular user to change files in the program folder. I'm not quite sure the process but I think you right click the install file, go to the compatibility tab and check the box that allows it to be installed as admin.

or

Install the software in a different place such as c:\gprm
Jason Henning

Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Husker wrote:I would think that it should work fine but...
I guess I forgot to update this thread. GPRM Version 6.0 does now support Vista. There were a couple of compatibility issues that were found (thanks Microsoft :x) and fixed and are included in the 6.0.5 update. This update can be downloaded from http://grandprix-software-central.com/g ... s_gprm.htm.

Only Version 6.0 and later will support Vista. Anyone with Version 5.0 and earlier will need to upgrade in order to get Vista compatibility.
Husker wrote:You may need to install it as administrator. Vista doesn't allow a regular user to change files in the program folder. I'm not quite sure the process but I think you right click the install file, go to the compatibility tab and check the box that allows it to be installed as admin.
GPRM does require for install that the user be logged in with Admin or Super User access; otherwise it will not install. This is so needed drivers can be installed and registered with Windows.

So far, I have not heard of any file permission issues.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
RMoose
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by RMoose »

Thanks for the prompt reply to my question Randy, I'm afraid I am tardy with my thank you!

We ended up using an old laptop for this year's race so no problems. We will probably upgrade laptops before next year's race so it sounds like we will need to upgrade then!
We are Ambassadors for Christ