Race Management Software

Discussions on race preparation, race management, sound effects, and other race related software. This is only for software provided by our sponsor, GrandPrix Software Central.
billbillb
Apprentice
Apprentice

Race Management Software

Post by billbillb »

I am in the process of looking into buying a race management software package for our pack. We already have a 4 lane wooden Piantedosi track with a Micro Wizard Fast Track timer finish lane that displays the actual elapsed time.

I am looking at Grand Prix Race manager, Derby master, and Race View.

Any experiences and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
blcrow33
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Race Management Software

Post by blcrow33 »

Grand Prix Race Manager Software is an excellent choice. We used it for the first time this year at our Pack race and it worked great. We even got complements from all the parents. Plus Randy is a lot of help if you have any issues. It is easy to install and easy to set up. The readme has a lot of information in it and just by playing around with it, it will teach you a lot.
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Go Bubba Go »

blcrow33 wrote:Grand Prix Race Manager Software is an excellent choice. We used it for the first time this year at our Pack race and it worked great. We even got complements from all the parents. Plus Randy is a lot of help if you have any issues. It is easy to install and easy to set up. The readme has a lot of information in it and just by playing around with it, it will teach you a lot.
I agree. You can find more of my comments in response to BigDozer66's posting Microwizard Derby timer and Software questions. Can't say much more than I already said there. I think blcrow33 hit all the important areas (worked great, parental compliments, Randy help, easy to use and help file).

EDIT - help file, not readme file. :)
Last edited by Go Bubba Go on Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Who's Grandpa's neighbor?"... Phil Davis, Down and Derby
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

I'm glad that you guys like the GPRM software.
blcrow33 wrote:The readme has a lot of information in it
I assume you mean the help file. The readme has very little in it.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
blcrow33
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by blcrow33 »

Oops Sorry. Yes, I mean the help file. I was stuck in work mode editing readme's all morning.
TAL
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by TAL »

With the 3 you listed I think you may have already been to the micro wizard software comparison chart...

I noticed on the comparison chart GPRM is the only one that has updated to VISTA compatible... I also noticed GPRM is the only one that has Racers on deck list, which I find to be very satisfying in running a speedier and smoother race...There is a lot more on the GPRM software that to me makes it stand out over the other choices...

The one thing Gprm does'nt have is race elimination process schedule, which I have never really cared for anyway...

If you can do without elimination races GPRM is the way to go...
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

TAL wrote:With the 3 you listed I think you may have already been to the micro wizard software comparison chart...
Actually, that comparison chart is on my software site. MW just provides a link to it.
TAL wrote:The one thing Gprm does'nt have is race elimination process schedule, which I have never really cared for anyway...
Not supporting elimination type races was a deliberate choice. I'm not a fan of them since it is harder to run a fair race with them. However, GPRM will support elimination in terms of advancing the fastest racers to another round of racing (running additional rounds is optional).
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
doct1010
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by doct1010 »

We have trid all three. We don't have a timer only position lights. Hands down GPRM. Its feature packed, relatively easy to use and IMO has best graphic display.
davem
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by davem »

ditto to doct1010's comments.

I have used GPRM with timers and with place indicators / points scoring (1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th). It is feature filled to handle many different types of race formats.

Just used it at for a new group that had never used a computer before.
They were blown away. (I have just gotten used to it over the years). The comment from the racing committee was "double the racing in half the time" when compared to their old manual DE methodology.

I am in the software business, and one of the things I look for when selecting s/w is the long term viability of the s/w and vendor. GPRM has a consistent track record of providing steady improvements.
tks546
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by tks546 »

Just wanted to add a thumbs up for GPRM.

I ran the software for the first time at our derby last weekend.
All I did to prepare was to go through the tutorial and made some test runs earlier in the week.
Everyone commented on how smooth the event went and how quickly we were able to complete the event while giving the cubs plenty of races!

Thanks for making my job so easy :D

-Tom