Importing Racers into GPRM from Excel (or CSV)?

Discussions on race preparation, race management, sound effects, and other race related software. This is only for software provided by our sponsor, GrandPrix Software Central.
PWD_addict
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Importing Racers into GPRM from Excel (or CSV)?

Post by PWD_addict »

Is there a way that racer and car names can be imported into GPRM from Excel or another program?

I haven't run GPRM before but I am in charge of our District Derby in the Fall (long story). I will be receiving the registration forms beforehand and would like to put them in a format that can be imported into GPRM on another leader's laptop. Is there a way to do this?

TIA,
Dave
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Importing Racers into GPRM from Excel (or CSV)?

Post by gpraceman »

PWD_addict wrote:Is there a way that racer and car names can be imported into GPRM from Excel or another program?
Yes. You can save the file first as a CSV (comma separated vaules) file and then use the import button on the Registration section of the main screen to suck it into GPRM. The columns do need to be in the correct order. Info on the proper format is in the help file.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
PWD_addict
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by PWD_addict »

Thanks Randy! I figured it would have to be the case. I downloaded the demo at home but didn't see a way to do it. But, I didn't have much time to play and was having too much fun with other features. I will practice on the demo version so that I can be ready for the real registrations.
Mr. Slick
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Mr. Slick »

There is a nice spreadsheet that is floating around out there with INSTRUCTIONS on how to fill it out even. I don't have mine on the web yet, but another group has one posted. :)

http://www.abunchofoldguysandatrack.com ... dsheet.xls

saving the scout data sheet as a CSV and importing it works slick, if I may say so myself!

The columns for the older version of GPRM that I use is slightly different than theirs. I use LastName, FirstName, Group, Rank, CarNumber, CarName, Passed as the column headings in row 1. The CarName and Passed columns are usually all empty which is fine.

The CSV can also be imported into MS-Access so that labels with the races name and rank can be preprinted from the data using Avery 18167 - 3/4" by 1 3/4" labels and the free software that they provide. The left over labels are then the ones that "Do Not Pass" the inspection.

Here are some sample labels for an upcoming Girl Scout race.

Mr. Slick says: Honey, I am doing this for the kids, not myself.
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

gpraceman wrote: Yes. You can save the file first as a CSV (comma separated vaules) file and then use the import button on the Registration section of the main screen to suck it into GPRM. The columns do need to be in the correct order. Info on the proper format is in the help file.
We did it that way this year. Use the RaceRosterData.xls file in the DATA directory as a base. I used our Scout roster and renamed and reordered the columns.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Pinewood Daddy wrote:We did it that way this year. Use the RaceRosterData.xls file in the DATA directory as a base. I used our Scout roster and renamed and reordered the columns.
There I go forgetting I had started including that file. :roll: Thanks for pointing that out!
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

gpraceman wrote:
Pinewood Daddy wrote:We did it that way this year. Use the RaceRosterData.xls file in the DATA directory as a base. I used our Scout roster and renamed and reordered the columns.
There I go forgetting I had started including that file. :roll: Thanks for pointing that out!
Thank you for helping me when I had questions about GPRM. :D
BigDozer66
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by BigDozer66 »

I don't see that file listed in my data file? :oops:

I have one labeled for AWANA GP racing.

I have some other questions but I will start my own thread. 8)

Lynn
"one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Cubmaster and AWANA Game Director
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

BigDozer66 wrote:I don't see that file listed in my data file?
It is in the Data directory for GPRM (C:\Program Files\Lisano Enterprises\GrandPrix6\Data).
Randy Lisano