Grand Prix Software - initial use

Discussions on race preparation, race management, sound effects, and other race related software. This is only for software provided by our sponsor, GrandPrix Software Central.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Grand Prix Software - initial use

Post by Stan Pope »

Pinewood Daddy wrote:How does that work if a couple of kids don't race?? It always seems to happen. Then you have to rerun the chart. That eliminates the possibility of printing a huge chart for the wall.
With a pure PN chart, one missing racer really doesn't raise many eyebrows, since everyone races that "missing car" the same number of times. The effect on accuracy is small. In fact, I'd prefer a PN chart with a missing car to a PPN chart that was fully populated.

But with a missing car from a PPN chart, there appears to be more source for inaccuracy, because of the (limited) imbalance in opposition. I have not "done the math" to prove one way or the other, but I think that PPN chart with a missing car loses about the same amount accuracy as a PN chart with a missing car, i. e. not much loss.

Now, I've not run races using software or computer projection. It has been that many years! But I did run with overhead projection of computer printed transparencies. In fact, score was kept on those transparencies so everyone could see that it was being done correctly. For some races, the entire chart was projected on one screen. Then, it was easy to see who was coming when. Bigger charts were a problem.

If you have the ability to bring a printer along with your computer, then you are "in" ... just print and post the schedule after the nose count is finalized and the heat schedule generated. Even print several copies if there are lots of people who will want to look at them.

It is important that folks be able to anticipate when their "rug rat" will be racing. Otherwise, Murphy's Law clearly dictates that their little one's race will occur shortly after the parent has entered the washroom!
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
pack529holycross
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by pack529holycross »

gpraceman wrote:
Pinewood Daddy wrote:We have food available at our event so each Den is called down when their cars are to run. It's hard to keep the kids (and many parents!) attention for almost 2 hours.

This year we only have 25 kids and probably only 22 will race. That's only 88 runs, at 45 seconds per run, or only a little over an hour. Then we run the Open class. Maybe I can convince the Committee to run the Perfect-N this year, giving them the point my boys won't be "killing" the same cars every race! I could make a poster with the schedule on it. If we have a projector again the software shows the "on deck" racers, so there is some advance warning of when the cars are running.
We have about 60 scouts and we just run one race group, with subgroups defined for each rank. This way we only have the one schedule to manage and no one is waiting for their group's turn to race. We break halfway through for lunch. After racing is done, the software gives us the standings for each of the subgroups. With this setup, you will have Tigers racing Webelos, but if you are scoring by time it really doesn't matter who a racer runs against. We find it keeps everyone more involved and is easier for the race crew to manage.

I was wondering what would be the best way to approach explaining the benefits of TIME based scoring vs. POINTS based scoring to a pack that is steeped in points. I personally am content with Perfect-N / Points, but certainly I can see the "interest factor" being high when all scouts are racing in the same "race group". Reminder - we have 60 kids, 6lane BestTrack/Microwizard K3/GPRM and 4 hours for entire event.

A few additional related (somewhat) questions:

1. Is it possible to run a Derby based on Points, and then take the times data and compare how the results may have played out if Times were the primary scoring system?

2. I ran an entire "mock" derby by connecting the Timer to the Software and simulating starts and finishes with my hand to run the Software through its paces soup to nuts. How do I discard the race results to "reset" the Derby?

Nicholas
Pack529 Lake Mary Florida
TAL
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by TAL »

pack529holycross wrote:
1. Is it possible to run a Derby based on Points, and then take the times data and compare how the results may have played out if Times were the primary scoring system?
If the race is completed and you have the race in file you can pull up the race in GPRM click on software at top of screen , Click on racing tab,
Look in general and chose the scoreing method (time or points) and save.

Then in the same window select standings and chose the other options and save,
You only have 1 option when points is used , or 4 options when times are used.
Then hit the 123 standings and select reveal all at once and you will see the difference .

You can actually see the results in all the options . Seems to be lots of ties in the points version.
Glengary
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Glengary »

gpraceman wrote:
Pinewood Daddy wrote:You can delete anyone who doesn't come before racing.
There's no need to delete no shows. You can simply not check them off as being passed through inspection. Only racers checked as being passed will be added to the schedule.
I like the idea of having all the scouts' names pre-entered in GPRM. Here's my problem and I don't know if you have the solution:
Car numbers are assigned on race day as all scouts lineup and they are assigned car numbers as they pass/fail inspection. Only "passed inspection" cars are assigned a car number. If I pre-enter in all the scouts' names into GPRM, it automatically assigns car numbers beforehand, thus they won't match what's being assigned as they register.

Now, I know one answer is to change the method of registration and tell the inspector to assign the numbers according to GPRM. That got shot down as the cubmaster doesn't want too many changes to the procedures to avoid confusion.

So, is there a way of having the roster pre-entered in GPRM "without car numbers assigned"? I would just have to manually enter in the car numbers as they are registered. This would streamline the registration process.

Or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.
Ken
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Glengary wrote:So, is there a way of having the roster pre-entered in GPRM "without car numbers assigned"? I would just have to manually enter in the car numbers as they are registered. This would streamline the registration process.
To register them in GPRM they must have a car number.

Since you can import from a CSV file, why not register racers into an Excel spreadsheet, save as CSV and then import? This assumes, of course, you have MS Excel.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Glengary
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Glengary »

gpraceman wrote:
Glengary wrote:So, is there a way of having the roster pre-entered in GPRM "without car numbers assigned"? I would just have to manually enter in the car numbers as they are registered. This would streamline the registration process.
To register them in GPRM they must have a car number.

Since you can import from a CSV file, why not register racers into an Excel spreadsheet, save as CSV and then import? This assumes, of course, you have MS Excel.
Excellent. I didn't know that CSV was an excel format. I guess then I'd have to delete the "non registered" names off the spreadsheet before importing. Also, how does GPRM separate out the groups from excel, assuming I create 4 groups in GPRM (Grades 1-4)?
I can't wait to play with this later tonite.

Thanks.
Ken
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Glengary wrote:Excellent. I didn't know that CSV was an excel format. I guess then I'd have to delete the "non registered" names off the spreadsheet before importing.
A CSV file is just a text file with commas between the data. You can open a CSV file with Excel and save a worksheet as a CSV file, using the File Save As feature.

There is no need to delete anyone from the spreasheet. There is a Passed column where you can indicate if they have passed or not (you do not really need to enter anything in that column for those that did not pass).

There is a sample spreadsheet file in the program's data folder (C:\Program Files\Lisano Enterprises\GrandPrix7\Data, unless you installed elsewhere), with the file name RaceRosterData.xls. It has a worksheet with instructions on filling in the columns.
Glengary wrote:Also, how does GPRM separate out the groups from excel, assuming I create 4 groups in GPRM (Grades 1-4)?
I can't wait to play with this later tonite.
There is a Group column in the spreadsheet as well as one for Subgroups, if needed.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
CuriousGeorge
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by CuriousGeorge »

gpraceman wrote:Personally, I recommend the Perfect-N type charts. With Lane Rotation, racers race against mostly the same racers over and over. That is rather boring and gets discouraging for the ones always getting beat. Perfect-N type charts give each racer a variety of opponents, so a racer stands a better chance of doing well in a heat. Granted, if scoring by times, then finish order doesn't matter, but people still want to place high in a heat.
Do Perfect-N type charts automatically include lane rotation? It seems that last time I used it, it had each kid racing once in each lane.

Basically what I want is lane rotation (which I think is fair) without kids racing against the same car twice (which I think makes it more fun for the kids).
CuriousGeorge
"They say you learn by your mistakes, in that case I must be a genius."
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

CuriousGeorge wrote:Do Perfect-N type charts automatically include lane rotation? It seems that last time I used it, it had each kid racing once in each lane.

Basically what I want is lane rotation (which I think is fair) without kids racing against the same car twice (which I think makes it more fun for the kids).
Perfect-N type charts will have racers run in each lane. Lane Rotation charts will as well. However, an innate problem with LR charts is that they provide a VERY limited number of opponents. Racers pretty much race the same opponents over and over. Perfect-N type charts will give each racer a variety of opponents. That leads to a more exciting race and gives each racer better odds of doing well in a heat.
Randy Lisano

Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

Specifically, Perfect-N charts will race every car the same number of times in each lane, and the same number of times against every other opponent.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Darin McGrew wrote:Specifically, Perfect-N charts will race every car the same number of times in each lane, and the same number of times against every other opponent.
Yep. They just may not "rotate" through the lanes in any set order, like with Lane Rotation charts or their variations.
Randy Lisano