Length of Track spec for software

Discussions on race preparation, race management, sound effects, and other race related software. This is only for software provided by our sponsor, GrandPrix Software Central.
pack529holycross
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Length of Track spec for software

Post by pack529holycross »

We have a BESTTRACK 49ft track, and I am trying to figure out ( without having to break the entire system out and run a 100 ft tape down the track ) the correct measurement to enter into that part of the GPRM. I believe I am reading the spec correctly that it is from the starting pins to the finish line, which is obviously shorter than the overall length of the entire track ( including the stop section ). Anyone able to help?

Nicholas
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Length of Track spec for software

Post by gpraceman »

For GPRM, a guesstimate is fine. The standings are not based on the scale speed, so it is not something that is crucial to have exact. Having scale speed is just something that the kids think is cool. It doesn't affect the race outcome.

For a BestTrack, you probably would subtract 1 foot at the start and 1 foot at the finish from the overall track length.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
blcrow33
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by blcrow33 »

We have a 42 foot Best Track. Ours measures 37 feet from starting pins to finish line. Since yours is 7 feet longer, yours will be 44 feet.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

blcrow33 wrote:We have a 42 foot Best Track. Ours measures 37 feet from starting pins to finish line. Since yours is 7 feet longer, yours will be 44 feet.
I guess I was forgetting about the stop section :oops:
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Go Bubba Go »

gpraceman wrote:For GPRM, a guesstimate is fine. The standings are not based on the scale speed, so it is not something that is crucial to have exact. Having scale speed is just something that the kids think is cool. It doesn't affect the race outcome.
Hmmm...

So I could enter a number that is actually a bit larger than our track in order to "juice up" the scale speed numbers.

Guess I really shouldn't, but calcing a scale speed in the 300 + mph arena would be fun!

Bubba
"Who's Grandpa's neighbor?"... Phil Davis, Down and Derby
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Go Bubba Go wrote:So I could enter a number that is actually a bit larger than our track in order to "juice up" the scale speed numbers.

Guess I really shouldn't, but calcing a scale speed in the 300 + mph arena would be fun!
That would definitely do it. Heck, why not make it look like they are breaking the sound barrier? :lol:
Randy Lisano

Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Go Bubba Go »

gpraceman wrote:
Go Bubba Go wrote:So I could enter a number that is actually a bit larger than our track in order to "juice up" the scale speed numbers.
That would definitely do it.
Not that I'm one of those "push the limit" types (aren't we all around here :wink: ), but is there an upper limit on GPRM track length values and/or scale speed calcs?

Bubba
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Go Bubba Go wrote:Not that I'm one of those "push the limit" types (aren't we all around here :wink: ), but is there an upper limit on GPRM track length values and/or scale speed calcs?
GPRM will allow you to enter 5 characters into the track length box. You could get some pretty extreme speeds. I guess I better check to make sure that wouldn't cause the speed value to get too large and cause an error.
Randy Lisano

gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

A track length of 99999 ft will yield a speed over 500,000 mph (and no error). Now that's cooking!
Randy Lisano

Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Go Bubba Go »

gpraceman wrote:A track length of 99999 ft will yield a speed over 500,000 mph (and no error). Now that's cooking!
Could be good for Space Derby :D