Best way to determine winner?

Discussions on race preparation, race management, sound effects, and other race related software. This is only for software provided by our sponsor, GrandPrix Software Central.
FordRacer23
Apprentice
Apprentice

Best way to determine winner?

Post by FordRacer23 »

We just bought a new electronic eye for our standard wooden awana track that is capable is sending times to a computer. We have just a mechanical start gate nothing fancy just a latch with a chain which is pulled by a human. So I am wondering what is the best way to determine an overall winner. We usually have between 50 and 70 cars racing in three different age groups so time is a major factor. I know there are time and point based systems but which specific one would be best and why? Thankyou for any help anyone can offer.
doct1010
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Best way to determine winner?

Post by doct1010 »

Interesting you should ask. This was a hotly debated topic recently. There are proponents on both sides of the timed vs points/elimination format. Check this thread for very detailed perspectives: http://derbytalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=3202
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

My first reaction was ... isn't this backward? First decide what you need to do and then buy equipment to do it seems a more logical approach. But few of us are really logical when it comes to PWD!

Anyway, next question is "What aspects of "fast" are most important to your group? Two come to mind: Consistency? Durability? Your time limits will have some bearing on the extent of "durability" that you can require, though.

If your environment is stable, consistent, and controlled, then times are good. If the environment might not be stable and consistent throughout the racing period, then go points. It is less accurate, but also less sensitive to track changes that may occur when youngsters are numerous.

Examples mentioning times:
Consistency:
Low: Rank racers by best heat time.
Moderate: Rank racers by best heat time average with some number of worst heats omitted.
High: Rank racers by bet heat time average, no omissions. ("You crash, you lose!")

Durability:
Low: Rank over a small number (e.g. one round) of races:
Moderate: Rank over more races (e.g. two or three rounds)
High: Qualify racers over two ro three rounds into finals. Start time averages over for finalists!

Make sure that your team knows:
- how to run the whole system, including reruns, corrections, ...
- what practices to avoid because they lead to inconsistent system operation.
- how to recover after a computer crash
Some simulated races before hand would be good training! And use those simulated races to also work out how to run expeditiously! (One that bugs me the most is the starter asking the audience to "count down" to start ... Adds 4 or 5 seconds waste time to every heat!)
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

doct1010 wrote:This was a hotly debated topic recently. There are proponents on both sides of the timed vs points/elimination format.
I think we should "plow that whole thread under". With a season or two to ferment, the tomato plants and green beans should grow well there! :)
Stan
pack529holycross
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by pack529holycross »

at a minimum it should be sealed for observation by future travellers in time who visit here from the far off future. You know - when each car has GPS paint and is set into a mercury switch activated starting gate that has starting pins that de-materialize on command, releasing the cars. :-)

Nicholas
doct1010
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by doct1010 »

Stan Pope wrote:
doct1010 wrote:This was a hotly debated topic recently. There are proponents on both sides of the timed vs points/elimination format.
I think we should "plow that whole thread under". With a season or two to ferment, the tomato plants and green beans should grow well there! :)
So, Stan should I interpret this as a comment on the content, the tone and tenor or the circuitous ramblings of reasoning? :D Not a bad read once you get past the aroma! :lol:
dna1990
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by dna1990 »

:wink: Forget scoring....can't they just all be winners? :wink:
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

doct1010 wrote:
Stan Pope wrote: I think we should "plow that whole thread under". With a season or two to ferment, the tomato plants and green beans should grow well there! :)
So, Stan should I interpret this as a comment on the content, the tone and tenor or the circuitous ramblings of reasoning? :D Not a bad read once you get past the aroma! :lol:
With an answer that infuriates my Bride, "Yes!"

But I'd like to see more precise use of the language and more careful attention consistent definition. The result seemed most fitting of the suggested disposal.
Stan