Recover Data File GPRM

Discussions on race preparation, race management, sound effects, and other race related software. This is only for software provided by our sponsor, GrandPrix Software Central.
jbofkc
Pine Head
Pine Head

Recover Data File GPRM

Post by jbofkc »

Folks,

After setting up a new track and timer system, we had about a dozen test data files with the GPRM software. During our pack race on Friday, there were a number of back-up files there were created during the evening.
These combined with the "test" data files were clutter on my system.

I went to delete these unnessesary files and mistakenly trashed the pack race file. I emptied the trash can before realizing this error. Does anyone know of a way to recover/restore this complete and official data file that had been sent to the the trash can?
Eagle Scout
"With God all things are possible!"
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Recover Data File GPRM

Post by gpraceman »

There may be some utility software out there that can help you recover something that has been deleted and flushed out of the recycle bin. However, as soon as sothing else gets written into the space that file was occupying, it will likely to get corrupted and be unrepairable.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
knavekid
Journeyman
Journeyman

Re: Recover Data File GPRM

Post by knavekid »

I have used a utility called Recover4all which can recover such files. The key to success is not writing over the data that has been deleted. The best way to do this is to remove the hard drive from the computer and connect it to a different computer as a slave drive. This way, you can avoid inadvertently writing to the drive. This application will look for deleted files and, if the needed file is not found, it will scan the disk for additional files.

Keep in mind, the less time the computer has been turned on, the better. This program will also work with removable drives that have no recycle bin.

To easily read hard drives on another computer, I have a USB to hard drive interface kit that I paid about $20 for. This allows me to take almost any desktop or notebook hard drive and use it as a USB drive. This is the one I bought:
Vantec SATA / IDE to USB 2.0 Adapter

Good luck recovering the data.