Grand Prix Race Manager software

Discussions on race preparation, race management, sound effects, and other race related software. This is only for software provided by our sponsor, GrandPrix Software Central.
emptyd
Pine Head
Pine Head

Grand Prix Race Manager software

Post by emptyd »

I am probably preaching to the choir on this but for the sake of those who may not have experience with any Derby/Grand Prix software…

GRAND PRIX RACE MANAGER (GPRM) is indispensable! Thank you Randy Lisano! We’ve used Randy’s software over the last couple of years but this year was the first time we’ve had a timer that is electronically connected to the scoring computer.

We had a total of just over 100 cars split amongst 3 divisions: 47, 51 & 10 cars. We ran the race in almost exactly 2.5 hours, including 2 10 minute intermissions, and a 15 minute award ceremony. (Perfect-N chart, one run per lane, 4 lanes for those who want to know).

I couldn’t believe how smoothly things went, and neither could the parents. We had well over 300 in attendance and there wasn’t a single complaint.

This all happened because of Randy’s GPRM. Multiple displays of current heat, next heat, current standings, records… The list goes on and on. We ran 3 projectors to display race data as well as a video feed of the finish line (which isn’t a feature of GPRM – we just added it into the mix). We got comments that attending our Grand Prix was “like watching a NASCAR race – it was great”.

Randy has put A LOT of time, thought and testing into his software and it is worth every penny at 10 times the price! (Don’t take that to heart though, please Randy ). It is a complex tool, so doing a couple of mock races with it is a good idea. Don’t get me wrong, it isn’t overly complex, but a tool that thoroughly addresses each “phase” of preparing for and running a race.

Finally, Randy’s tech support is excellent. I’m a computer guy and have dealt with the kind of communications used between the timers and the computer for 20 years. Still, Randy was willing to walk me thru “Are BOTH ends of the cord plugged in?” and other such stupidities on my part. And he did it all with a smile (I heard his smile thru the phone connection ).

I can’t say enough good about Randy and his product. If you are looking for software to manage a race I strongly encourage you to look into his tool. Disclaimer: I am not related to Randy in anyway, receive no compensation for my endorsement, and did not recently switch my insurance to Geiko.
dna1990
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Grand Prix Race Manager software

Post by dna1990 »

Tell us more about your multiple projectors.

Were these all showing the same screen as the main GPRM display from the track computer? If so, what did youuse to split the signal.

Or did you use any dual monitor/split screen type of work, based on teh video card ability? Or did you actually have three different systems pulling race data from a central spot?

I agree, I am a recent but impressed fan of Randy and GPRM.
emptyd
Pine Head
Pine Head

Re: Grand Prix Race Manager software

Post by emptyd »

dna1990 wrote:Tell us more about your multiple projectors.

Were these all showing the same screen as the main GPRM display from the track computer? If so, what did youuse to split the signal.

Or did you use any dual monitor/split screen type of work, based on teh video card ability? Or did you actually have three different systems pulling race data from a central spot?

I agree, I am a recent but impressed fan of Randy and GPRM.
My computer (which serves as the race computer) has two monitor cards in it that together support up to 6 monitors (2/4). I plug projectors into the output of some of them (this year it was 2) and then open several of GPRM's display screens ("current standings", "on deck", current heat") and place/ arrange them on the "monitor" (that is connected to a projector) in the size/orientation that seems best. No splitters involved at all. That means if I turn off a projector there is no way to see what is on that "monitor". Make sense?

The video feed for the finish line went direct from a camcorder to a third projector.