Guiding hand needed for GPRM compatibility

Discussions on race preparation, race management, sound effects, and other race related software. This is only for software provided by our sponsor, GrandPrix Software Central.
pack529holycross
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Guiding hand needed for GPRM compatibility

Post by pack529holycross »

I am about at the end of the evaluation period for getting a new laptop, and need some simple Pass/Fail references as to the compatibility of GPRM with the following OS:

Microsoft® Windows Vista Business: New tools make sure your PC is up-to-date, secure and running smoothly. Built-in protection against malicious software keeps your PC safe. The elegant Aero™ interface makes it easy to navigate and juggle tasks. And Vista Business lets you connect more securely whether you are sitting at your desk, at home, in a WiFi hotspot—or even using your cell phone to connect to the Internet.

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic: Vista Home Basic is the operating system for homes with basic computing needs. It’s easy to set up, secure, reliable and compatible with the widest range of software, devices, and services. If you simply want to surf the Internet, correspond with friends or create basic documents, this will be perfect for you.

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium: Windows Vista Home Premium is the operating system for homes with advanced computer needs. And Vista Premium features the elegant new Aero interface. You’ll be able to use your laptop more effectively and enjoy new entertainment experiences—all with the benefit of added security and reliability.

Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate (64-bit): This is the most comprehensive edition of Windows Vista, combining infrastructure features of a business-focused OS, efficiency features of a mobility-focused OS, and entertainment features of a consumer-focused OS. If you need one OS that’s great for working from home, working on the road, and for entertainment, Windows Vista Ultimate lets you have it all.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Guiding hand needed for GPRM compatibility

Post by gpraceman »

The only problem with Windows Vista is with the 64bit version. Microsoft doesn't provide 64bit versions of their database drivers.

I am however, working with a 64bit Vista user on trying to make it work as a 32bit application, for which there are database drivers.

There may also be incompatibility issues with other programs trying to run on a 64bit system.

Personally, I think you are better off with Windows XP. It is more stable and runs faster.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
pack529holycross
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

gpraceman wrote:The only problem with Windows Vista is with the 64bit version. Microsoft doesn't provide 64bit versions of their database drivers.

I am however, working with a 64bit Vista user on trying to make it work as a 32bit application, for which there are database drivers.

There may also be incompatibility issues with other programs trying to run on a 64bit system.

Personally, I think you are better off with Windows XP. It is more stable and runs faster.

sure - if you could get an XP-equipped notebook anymore. I have yet to see one that isn't so poorly equipped in the other departments ( memory, storage, CPU, etc ).... I will not opt for the 64bit version, but I included it in this post simply because there was a sub-$700 item that included the 2.2ghz turion(TL-64) along with the "ultimate" vista version.
knavekid
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by knavekid »

You will find that almost all of the notebook computers sold at Dell Small Business are available with XP as a no cost option. Many businesses are not willing to make the jump to Vista.

My sister just ordered a Dell Vostro 1000 last night for under $500 shipped. It has an Athlon 64 X2 (TK-55) CPU, 15.4" display, 1GB ram, 120GB hard drive, DVD writer, wireless, and Windows XP Home.

This is the low end of the line, but the more expensive fully optioned notebooks also may be ordered with Windows XP.
pack529holycross
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

knavekid wrote:You will find that almost all of the notebook computers sold at Dell Small Business are available with XP as a no cost option. Many businesses are not willing to make the jump to Vista.

My sister just ordered a Dell Vostro 1000 last night for under $500 shipped. It has an Athlon 64 X2 (TK-55) CPU, 15.4" display, 1GB ram, 120GB hard drive, DVD writer, wireless, and Windows XP Home.

This is the low end of the line, but the more expensive fully optioned notebooks also may be ordered with Windows XP.

the laptop i secured at a far away circuit city store is an ACER tl-58, 2gb/160gb, nvidia7000m, firewire, dvdrw, and vista premium for 549 - BUT you have to find a store that still has them ( 5520-5912 )
knavekid
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by knavekid »

That is a great deal!!

I agree that the pre-configured systems on the market are all Vista these days. It is almost as hard to find a new notebook computer with a standard serial port on it.
CTS Memorial Raceway
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by CTS Memorial Raceway »

I have a Dell with Vista Home Premium. I am still trying to get used to Vista. However, my GPRM has performed flawlessly after an issue interfacing with the Judge, but Randy resolved it fast.