Actual "Running the Race"

Discussions on race preparation, race management, sound effects, and other race related software. This is only for software provided by our sponsor, GrandPrix Software Central.
KLenort
Journeyman
Journeyman

Actual "Running the Race"

Post by KLenort »

Software: Grand Prix

I would like to know the specifics of how others run a derby using this software and a Perfect-N chart. :tellme:
1)How do you get scouts to know and show up at start gate when it is their turn ? Do you distribute score sheets ? I am worried about wasted time trying to gather the right scout (may slow down derby)
2)Do you display On-Deck screen (Announce) then display race screen (announce) and run ? Then show results for set time frame and start again ?
Thanks
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Actual "Running the Race"

Post by gpraceman »

KLenort wrote:Software: Grand Prix

I would like to know the specifics of how others run a derby using this software and a Perfect-N chart. :tellme:
1)How do you get scouts to know and show up at start gate when it is their turn ? Do you distribute score sheets ? I am worried about wasted time trying to gather the right scout (may slow down derby)
2)Do you display On-Deck screen (Announce) then display race screen (announce) and run ? Then show results for set time frame and start again ?
Thanks
For the GrandPrix Race Manager software:

1) With a "static" schedule, like Perfect-N charts, you can generate it, print it and then post it for all to see. Post it and let everyone know where it is or use an overhead projector to blow it up on the wall. for easier viewing.

2) For our race, we give a copy of the schedule to the person in charge of the On Deck Circle. Once the results are shown for the heat just completed, we show the On Deck racers on our projection system and announce their names. This is happening while the current racers are staging their cars. We have a table, close to the start gate, where the On Deck racers are to go so they can get to the start gate the moment after the current cars cross the finish line. We have a board there that they place their cars in the lane order that they will race in. This all helps keep the racing moving.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
terryep
Merchant
Merchant

Post by terryep »

In the our last challenge race they got a drill sargent from the local military base to call out the names. Worked great! 8)

Terry
Old Guy Chuck
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Old Guy Chuck »

I am part of a group that runs about 25 derbies a year for packs in our area (suburb of Minneapolis, MN). Because we use an elevated track, it is impractical to have the boys handle their own cars. I sometimes regret we can't have them load the car, it just doesn't seem likely to happen. That solves the problem for us since we sort and load all the cars. We try to keep the show interesting for them with other things, music, announcer, slide shows, interviews, etc. Our new website should be available in the next couple of days. We're waiting for our domain name to get processed. http://www.oldguysandatrack.com.