GPRM - Another first timer, 1 glitch?

Discussions on race preparation, race management, sound effects, and other race related software. This is only for software provided by our sponsor, GrandPrix Software Central.
Glengary
Pine Head
Pine Head

GPRM - Another first timer, 1 glitch?

Post by Glengary »

Our Pack tried out GPRM first time just this past Friday and everyone loved seeing the current race info. projected onto a screen! And of course everyone loved the sounds!
Overall, it was a success except 1 glitch that I haven't been able to figure out why it happened:

- In Excel, we registered the scouts and entered in car numbers as they showed up, weighed in and passed inspection. Data in this format and order in Excel:

Last Name, First Name, Car#, Passed Inspection

- When registration was done, I saved the file in .CSV format and then attempted to import it in GPRM. The error was something like:

"passed inspection" not a recognized car#

This prolly delayed us for 10 mins., until I switched the "car#" and "passed inspection" columns, and voila, we were ready to rock & roll. This was very odd. I still have no idea why I had to switch the 2 data columns as I ran a couple of mock races in the original format days before just to familiarize myself w/the software.

Why did this happen on race night? I guess Murphy's law had decided to kick in for whatever reason.
Our pack leader and most parents were quite understanding... first time in actual use of the software... sheesh, I was stressin out.

Oh, and the backstory is, my son smoked the pack going undefeated for the night :). I am working on collecting all the info. with pics to post in a new thread and appropriate place in this forum, cause I know how everyone here wants details :). Most credit for the winning car goes to this forum and Mr. Pope.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: GPRM - Another first timer, 1 glitch?

Post by gpraceman »

Glengary wrote:- In Excel, we registered the scouts and entered in car numbers as they showed up, weighed in and passed inspection. Data in this format and order in Excel:

Last Name, First Name, Car#, Passed Inspection

- When registration was done, I saved the file in .CSV format and then attempted to import it in GPRM. The error was something like:

"passed inspection" not a recognized car#

This prolly delayed us for 10 mins., until I switched the "car#" and "passed inspection" columns, and voila, we were ready to rock & roll. This was very odd. I still have no idea why I had to switch the 2 data columns as I ran a couple of mock races in the original format days before just to familiarize myself w/the software.
Even if you switched columns, you should have still have had problems importing that CSV file.

The correct format is:

Last Name, First Name, Group, Subgroup, Car#, Car Name, Passed Inspection

Those in bold are mandatory, the rest are optional.

This format is in the Help file. Race Prep Tasks -> Create Race Rosters -> Roster Import. There are also some sample files in the programs Data folder.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Glengary
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Glengary »

I stand corrected... we had the GROUP column and the grades (1-4) were listed under that column. I know this for certain cause it was easier looking up the grade they were from.

If I still have the erroneous .CSV file at home, I'll try it again and email it you, perhaps there is something I overlooked.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Forgot to respond to a couple of things.
Glengary wrote:Our Pack tried out GPRM first time just this past Friday and everyone loved seeing the current race info. projected onto a screen! And of course everyone loved the sounds!
Glad to hear that your race went well and the software was a help.
Glengary wrote:Oh, and the backstory is, my son smoked the pack going undefeated for the night :). I am working on collecting all the info. with pics to post in a new thread and appropriate place in this forum, cause I know how everyone here wants details :). Most credit for the winning car goes to this forum and Mr. Pope.
Congrats to you and your son!
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Glengary
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Glengary »

I will conclude this thread by saying that I will use the"exact" format of your sample .csv file to ensure that errors won't occur on race nite again :).

Mr. Lisano, thanks for the lightning speed of your responses to my problems. And thanks for the kind words.